Burkina Faso at the 2016 Summer Olympics
Burkina Faso competed at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 5 to 21 August 2016. This was the nation's ninth appearance at the Summer Olympics, having participated since the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich under the name Upper Volta.
|Burkina Faso at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Burkinabé National Olympic and Sports Committee|
|in Rio de Janeiro|
|Competitors||5 in 3 sports|
|Flag bearer||Rachid Sidibé|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
|Other related appearances|
|Upper Volta (1972)|
Five Burkinabe athletes, three men and two women, were selected to the team, tying the record for the nation's roster size with London 2012. Two of them returned for their second Olympic appearance from the previous Games: hurdler Marthe Koala and freestyle swimmer Angelika Ouedraogo. Meanwhile, heavyweight judoka Rachid Sidibé led the team as Burkina Faso's flag bearer in the opening ceremony.
Burkina Faso, however, has yet to win its first Olympic medal.
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
- Field events
|Hugues Fabrice Zango||Triple jump||15.99||34||Did not advance|
- Track & road events
|Marthe Koala||100 m hurdles||13.41||8||Did not advance|
Burkina Faso qualified one judoka for the men's heavyweight category (+100 kg) at the Games. Rachid Sidibe earned a continental quota spot from the African region as Burkina Faso's top-ranked judoka outside of direct qualifying position in the IJF World Ranking List of May 30, 2016.
|Athlete||Event||Round of 32||Round of 16||Quarterfinals||Semifinals||Repechage||Final / BM|
|Rachid Sidibé||Men's +100 kg|| Khammo (UKR)
|Did not advance|
|Tindwende Sawadogo||Men's 50 m freestyle||26.38||67||Did not advance|
|Angelika Ouedraogo||Women's 50 m freestyle||29.44||=67||Did not advance|
- "JO 2016: les porte-drapeaux africains à Rio" [2016 Olympics: African flag bearers for Rio] (in French). Radio France Internationale. 4 August 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Jeux olympiques : 5 compétiteurs burkinabè à Rio" [Olympic Games: 5 Burkina] (in French). aOuaga.com. 5 August 2016. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- "iaaf.org – Top Lists". IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "IAAF Games of the XXX Olympiad – Rio 2016 Entry Standards" (PDF). IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "IJF Officially Announces Qualified Athletes for Rio 2016 Olympic Games". International Judo Federation. 23 June 2016. Archived from the original on 7 July 2016. Retrieved 24 June 2016.
- "Swimming World Rankings". FINA. Archived from the original on 6 January 2011. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- "Men's Final Entry List" (PDF). FINA. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "Women's Final Entry List" (PDF). FINA. Retrieved 20 July 2016.