Bronckhorst (pronounced [ˈbrɔŋkɦɔrst] (listen)) is a municipality in Gelderland, the Netherlands. The municipality is the result of a merger of the former municipalities Hengelo, Hummelo en Keppel, Steenderen, Vorden and Zelhem, on 1 January 2005. The new municipality is named after the medieval castle of the Bronckhorst family, who once ruled this area.
Location in Gelderland
|Established||1 January 2005|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Marianne Besselink (PvdA)|
|• Total||286.42 km2 (110.59 sq mi)|
|• Land||283.56 km2 (109.48 sq mi)|
|• Water||2.86 km2 (1.10 sq mi)|
|Elevation||13 m (43 ft)|
|• Density||128/km2 (330/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Parts of 6900, 7000 and 7200 ranges
|Area code||0313, 0314, 0575|
The seat of the municipality is Hengelo.
Formerly in Hengelo:
Formerly in Hummelo en Keppel:
Formerly in Vorden:
Formerly in Zelhem:
Formerly in Steenderen:
Keppel received city rights in 1404.
- Henrica Iliohan (1850 in Vorden – 1921) a Dutch-born American woman suffragist
- Henk Zeevalking (1922 in Laag-Keppel – 2005) a Dutch politician and co-founder of the Democrats 66 (D66)
- Prof Jan Remmelink (1922 in Zelhem - 2003) was Attorney General of the High Council of the Netherlands 1968/1989
- Annemarie Jorritsma (born 1950 in Hengelo) a Dutch politician
- "Gemeentelijke indeling op 1 januari 2005" [Municipal divisions on 1 January 2005]. cbs.nl (in Dutch). CBS. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Samenstelling en taakverdeling" [Members and tasks] (in Dutch). Gemeente Bronckhorst. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 7255KA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
|This Gelderland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|