Boral Limited is a multinational company manufacturing and supplying building and construction materials. Founded in Australia, it also has extensive operations in the United States and Asia. With A$4.39 billion (2017) worth of sales, Boral has about 16,000 employees working across approximately 700 operating sites. Its headquarters are located in Sydney, Australia.
|Traded as||ASX: BLD|
|Industry||Building and Construction Materials|
|Founded||Australia (4 March 1946)|
|Headquarters||North Sydney, Australia|
|Mike Kane, CEO & Managing Director|
Rosaline Ng, CFO
|Revenue||A$4.39 billion (2017)|
|A$267 million (2017)|
Number of employees
|15,994 including employees in joint venture operations (2017)|
Boral has three operating divisions: Boral Australia, USG Boral and Boral North America:
- Boral Australia has quarry, concrete, asphalt, concrete placing, cement, masonry, roofing, and hardwood and softwood timber operations. The division is a major supplier of products and materials to the residential and commercial construction, and roads and engineering markets.
- USG Boral manufactures and supplies plasterboard based wall, ceiling lining systems and accessories in Asia, Australasia and the Middle East. The division came into existence in 2014 when Boral Gypsum and USG formed a 50/50 joint venture.
- Boral North America resulted from the acquisition and subsequent of Headwaters by the company in May 2017. It supplies a variety of construction materials and building products. The division has a national fly ash processing and distribution business and manufactures stone veneer, concrete and clay roof tiles, concrete block, light building products and windows for residential and commercial construction markets. Boral North America also has a construction materials business in Denver and has a 50% share of the Meridian Brick joint venture.
Boral was demerged from the pre-existing Boral Limited in February 2000. The pre-existing Boral Limited, comprising energy assets, was renamed Origin Energy. The spin-off assets, comprising building and construction materials, became what is now known as Boral Limited. Boral and Origin Energy are now separately listed companies on the Australian Stock Exchange and are entirely independent of one another.
The pre-existing Boral began as an oil and bitumen refining company under the name of Bitumen and Oil Refineries Australia Limited. It later changed its name to Boral Limited using the acronym of the company's name.
Today, Boral has built itself into a multinational company, with operations across Australasia, Asia, the Middle East and North America.
- "BLD Boral Limited". ASX. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "1946-1949". Boral. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Boral Annual Report 2017" (PDF). Boral. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Boral Limited Overview". InvestSMART. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- "Boral finds balance with ambitious US build-up". The Australian. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- "Boral & USG form Plasterboard & Ceilings JV". ASX. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- "Boral gets US Federal Trade Commission approval for Headwaters takeover". Australian Financial Review. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- "Boral completes acquisition of Headwaters Inc". ASX. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- "Admission to Official List". ASX. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- "Bitumen Oil Refineries Australia Limited". Trove National Library of Australia. Retrieved 23 December 2017.