Blackburn railway station, Melbourne
Blackburn railway station is located on the Lilydale and Belgrave lines in Victoria, Australia. It serves the eastern Melbourne suburb of Blackburn, and opened as Blackburn Creek on 25 December 1882, being renamed Blackburn at a later date.
Eastbound view from Platform 3 in February 2013
|Location||Railway Road, Blackburn|
|Distance||18.67 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||3 (1 island, 1 side)|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||25 December 1882|
|Passengers (2008-2009)||1.123 million|
|Passengers (2009-2010)||1.237 million 10.15%|
|Passengers (2010-2011)||1.219 million 1.46%|
|Passengers (2011-2012)||1.259 million 3.28%|
|Passengers (2012-2013)||Not measured|
|Passengers (2013-2014)||1.406 million 11.68%|
At this time, the Lilydale line had only a single track, and used a token-based system of signalling. On 12 August 1889, Blackburn was designated a 'crossing station', meaning that it had a loop line to allow trains to pass each other. In December 1891, a second track was added to the section of the Lilydale line, between Box Hill and Ringwood stations. At this time, Blackburn had two platforms.
Services terminating at Blackburn began in the late 1890s, due to the large number of passengers visiting the Blackburn Lake Sanctuary. However, there were relatively few trains passing through Blackburn; around two trains per hour in 1901.
The Lilydale line was electrified as far as Box Hill on 17 December 1922. By the end of January 1923, electrification had proceeded past Blackburn, as far as Ringwood.
Automatic signalling, which had reached Box Hill in 1929, was finally extended to Blackburn on 13 July 1958. However, automatic signalling was not installed between Blackburn and Mitcham until 13 November 1960. Boom barriers replaced hand gates at Blackburn Road in 1970.
In 1980, the goods siding was removed and the old station was demolished (although part of the south platform building remains). It was replaced with a three-platform station, so trains could terminate while Box Hill station was being rebuilt. A new ramp from the old tunnel now provides pedestrian access to the central island platform. Victorian Railways' plan in the late 1970s was to add the third track to the south, but Nunawading Council objected, because it would destroy the park there. By 2001, all services that formerly terminated at Box Hill had been extended to Blackburn.
Platform 3 is only used on weekdays during peak hours (when trains are being terminated on Platform 2). This typically occurs from early morning; 7am-12:30pm, and mid afternoon; 15:30-18:30.
In late 2006 and early 2007, grade separation works at the Middleborough Road level crossing, near Laburnum, led to the closure of the line between Box Hill and Blackburn, and the construction of a temporary bus interchange at Blackburn, for buses which replaced train services. The car-park immediately to the north of Platform 3 was converted into an interchange, and a walkway was constructed to allow passengers to cross from the island platform to the interchange. Blackburn again performed this role in early 2010, when grade separation was undertaken at Springvale Road and Nunawading station was rebuilt, and again in 2014, when Mitcham Road and Rooks Road at Mitcham were separated.
Construction commenced in early 2016. A major shutdown of the line and Blackburn Road occurred during late 2016-early 2017, enabling the removal of the level crossing. Blackburn Road and the railway line reopened in early February 2017. The project also includes two new lift shafts from the island platform to the underpass, and to nearby Railway Road. These works are expected to be completed by May 2017.
Facilities, platforms & servicesEdit
Blackburn has one island platform with two faces and one side platform. The island platform features a ticket office and toilets. It is serviced by Metro Trains' Lilydale and Belgrave line services.
- Lilydale line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- Belgrave line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- Lilydale line: services to Flinders Street
- Belgrave line: services to Flinders Street
- Lilydale line: all stations services to Lilydale
- Belgrave line: all stations and limited stops services to Belgrave
Platform 3: (Weekdays only)
Transdev Melbourne operates three routes via Blackburn station:
- 271: Box Hill station – Ringwood station
- 279: Box Hill station – Westfield Doncaster (Deviation)
- 901: Frankston station – Melbourne Airport
Ventura Bus Lines operates three routes via Blackburn station:
- "Train Station Patronage FY2008-2014". Public Transport Victoria. 14 May 2015. Archived from the original (XLS) on 30 March 2016. Retrieved 1 November 2016. (access from  Archived 3 November 2016 at the Wayback Machine)
- Blackburn Vicsig
- VR History by Andrew Waugh
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Heistorical Society. October 1997. p. 310.
- Middleborough Road Project Vicsig
- Three more notorious level crossings to be removed Premier of Victoria 2nd May 2014
- "Level Crossing Removal: BLACKBURN ROAD, BLACKBURN". Archived from the original on 21 February 2017. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Blackburn Road, Blackburn level crossing removal Archived 13 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine Vicroads - planned works
- "Lilydale Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "Belgrave Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "271 Box Hill - Ringwood via Park Orchards". Public Transport Victoria.
- "279 Box Hill - Doncaster SC via Middleborough Rd". Public Transport Victoria.
- "901 Frankston - Melbourne Airport (SMARTBUS Service)". Public Transport Victoria.
- "703 Middle Brighton - Blackburn via Bentleigh & Clayton & Monash University". Public Transport Victoria.
- "736 Mitcham - Blackburn via Vermont South & Glen Waverley & Forest Hill". Public Transport Victoria.
- "765 Mitcham - Box Hill via Brentford Square & Forest Hill & Blackburn". Public Transport Victoria.