Bill Nye Saves the World
|This article is currently protected from editing until June 1, 2017, or until editing disputes have been resolved.
This protection is not an endorsement of the current version. See the protection policy and protection log for more details. Please discuss any changes on the talk page; you may to ask an administrator to make an edit if it is uncontroversial or supported by consensus. You may also request that this page be unprotected.
Bill Nye Saves the World is an American television show currently[update] streaming on Netflix hosted by Bill Nye. The show's byline is, "Emmy-winning host Bill Nye brings experts and famous guests to his lab for a talk show exploring scientific issues that touch our lives", with the series' focus placed on science its relationship with politics, pop culture, and society. The first season explores topics such as climate change, alternative medicine, and video games from a scientific point of view, while also refuting myths and anti-scientific claims.
|Bill Nye Saves the World|
|Directed by||Nick Murray|
|Presented by||Bill Nye|
|Theme music composer||Tyler, The Creator|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||25–32 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Bunim/Murray Productions|
|Picture format||4K (2:1 UHDTV)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital 5.1|
|Original release||April 21, 2017|
Though the show is hosted by Nye, five correspondents assist in the presentation of the show. These include fashion model Karlie Kloss, science YouTuber and educator Derek Muller, comedian Nazeem Hussain, comedian and writer Joanna Hausmann, and the TV host and producer Emily Calandrelli. The show also features guest appearances from Zach Braff, Desiigner, Donald Faison, Rachel Bloom, Gus Sorola, Geoff Ramsey, Joel McHale, Wil Wheaton, Martin Starr, Jonna Mae, Steve Aoki, and Tim Gunn. The thirteen-episode series premiered on April 21, 2017. The show's theme song was produced by Tyler, The Creator.
|No.||Title||Original release date|
|1||"Earth Is a Hot Mess"||April 21, 2017|
Bill discusses climate change.
|2||"Tune Your Quack-o-Meter"||April 21, 2017|
Bill debunks alternative medicine.
|3||"Machines Take Over the World"||April 21, 2017|
Bill discusses artificial intelligence.
|4||"More Food, Less Hype"||April 21, 2017|
Bill discusses genetically modified organisms.
|5||"The Original Martian Invasion"||April 21, 2017|
Bill discusses the theory of panspermia.
|6||"Do Some Shots, Save the World"||April 21, 2017|
Bill discusses vaccinations.
|7||"Cheat Codes for Reality"||April 21, 2017|
Bill discusses playing games.
|8||"This Diet Is Bananas"||April 21, 2017|
Bill discusses diets.
|9||"The Sexual Spectrum"||April 21, 2017|
Bill discusses sex.
|10||"Saving the World—with Space!"||April 21, 2017|
Bill discusses space exploration.
|11||"Malarkey!"||April 21, 2017|
Bill debunks extrasensory perception.
|12||"Designer Babies"||April 21, 2017|
Bill discusses designer babies.
|13||"Earth's People Problem"||April 21, 2017|
Bill discusses human overpopulation.
Bill Nye Saves the World has an aggregate rating of 63/100 based on 5 reviews from metacritic and a Rotten Tomatoes score of 75% based on 8 reviews, and an average rating of 7/10. There is no critical consensus according to Rotten Tomatoes. NPR's Fresh Air said the show is "fun to watch," working well from Nye's "consistent reliance on scientific and provable facts." Vox praised Nye's unapologetic talking style, though worried this may alienate some viewers. Online newspaper The Independent mentioned that the show "jumps the shark" with the "cringeworthy" 'My Sex Junk' skit.
- Prudom, Laura (August 31, 2016). "Bill Nye Lands Netflix Talk Show". Variety. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- "Bill Nye Saves the World". Netflix.
- Moraes, Lisa de (August 31, 2016). "Netflix Orders Talk Show 'Bill Nye Saves The World'". Deadline. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- on YouTube
- Harwood, Erika (October 14, 2016). "Karlie Kloss Is Teaming Up with Bill Nye". Vanity Fair. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- Mae, Jonna [themissesmae] (April 21, 2017). "OMG IT'S FINALLY OUT! Check out EP7 of @BillNyeSaves (Bill Nye Saves The World) on @netflix." (Tweet). Retrieved April 21, 2017 – via Twitter.
- Schwartz, Ryan; Schwartz, Ryan (February 8, 2017). "Bill Nye Saves the World Gets Netflix Premiere Date, Star-Studded Trailer". TVLine. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- "Tyler, The Creator Did the Theme Song For Bill Nye's Netflix Show | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved April 16, 2017.
-  Retrieved on May 10, 2017.
- Rotten Tomatoes page for Bill Nye Saves the World. Retrieved on May 9, 2017.
- David Bianculli (April 19, 2017). "'Fargo' and Bill Nye Make Promising Returns to the Small Screen". Fresh Air. NPR. Retrieved May 7, 2017.
- Aja Romano (April 21, 2017). "Bill Nye Saves the World brings us an updated, unapologetically political science guy". Vox.