Beuningen (pronunciation (help·info)) is a municipality and a town in the eastern Netherlands. The municipality consists of the towns Beuningen, Ewijk, Winssen and Weurt. 1.5 kilometres (1 mi) to the north lies the river Waal
Beuningen town hall
Location in Gelderland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Daphne Bergman (acting) (D66)|
|• Total||47.09 km2 (18.18 sq mi)|
|• Land||43.70 km2 (16.87 sq mi)|
|• Water||3.39 km2 (1.31 sq mi)|
|Elevation||9 m (30 ft)|
|• Density||588/km2 (1,520/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||024, 0487|
Beuningen lies in the armpit of the A73 (Nijmegen-Venlo, on the south side) and A50 (Zwolle-Eindhoven, in the west) motorway interchange. East of Beuningen lies the city Nijmegen. Beuningen had a population of 25,674 in 2017. There is a restored windmill in the town, De Haag.
The area in and around Beuningen was inhabited by the Romans. There are regularly excavations done in which Roman rests are found. In the 15th century there stood a small castle: Blanckenburgh. It was probably destroyed during the Eighty Years' War by Maurice of Orange. Until about 1900 Beuningen was a poor farmers village, often struck by floods. Nevertheless there were a few rich families, mostly farmers with a lot of land, who paid the highest tax in the area. On januari 1st 1818 the municipality annexed town Weurt in the East and juli 1st 1980 the town Ewijk on the West.
Nowadays Beuningen has grown to a suburb of Nijmegen, with a lot of new neighbourhoods.
There are several monuments in Beuningen. Here are a few (in chronological order):
- Blanckenburgh tower, 15th century
- De Haag Mill, 1704
- Kloosterstraat farm, 1774
- Olden Tempel, 1838
- Large Waardhuizenstraat T-farm, 1850 - 1900
- Mausoleum of Van 't Lindenhout, 1861
- Cornelius church, 1900-1901
- Vinkendael, 1900
- Coach house, ca. 1913
- Holy Heart statue, 1920
- Stone factory the Bunswaard, 1920
- "Carol van Eert" (in Dutch). Gemeente Beuningen. Archived from the original on 19 June 2014. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 6641AE". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.