Beñat Etxebarria Urkiaga (Basque: [beɲat etʃeβaria urkiaɣa], Spanish: [beˈɲat etʃeβaˈri.a uɾˈkjaɣa]; born 19 February 1987), known simply as Beñat, is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Athletic Bilbao as a central midfielder.
Beñat with Athletic Bilbao in 2014
|Full name||Beñat Etxebarria Urkiaga|
|Date of birth||19 February 1987|
|Place of birth||Igorre, Spain|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
|2008–2009||→ Conquense (loan)||34||(6)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18 May 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 14 November 2012
In 2008–09, Beñat played with UB Conquense in the third division, after which he was released by Athletic. In the summer he signed with Real Betis, but spent his first season with the reserves also in level three.
Beñat made his debut for Betis' main squad on 29 August 2010, playing the second half of the 4–1 home win against Granada CF and assisting on a Salva Sevilla goal. Three days later he scored in his first start, a 2–1 home triumph against UD Salamanca in the Copa del Rey; in the league campaign he contributed with 36 matches (30 starts, 2.521 minutes of action) as the Andalusians returned to the top flight after three years, netting four times.
On 24 November 2012, Beñat netted the game's only goal in a 1–0 home success over Real Madrid – he scored with a shot from outside the 18-yard box in the 17th minute. He finished the campaign with 34 games and four goals, helping the club finish seventh and qualify to the UEFA Europa League.
In June 2013, Beñat returned to Athletic Bilbao, signing a five-year contract for a reported fee of €8 million. On 16 September, he took the first touch at the new San Mamés Stadium against RC Celta de Vigo and scored the winning goal in a 3–2 victory; he was substituted to a standing ovation, and dedicated his performance to his grandparents.
On 14 April 2016, Beñat was the only player to miss in a penalty shootout against compatriots Sevilla in the quarter-finals of the Europa League. Following the appointment of manager José Ángel Ziganda for the 2017–18 season, he began featuring less regularly.
Beñat played with the Spanish youth teams at under-17 level. He made his debut for the full side on 26 May 2012, playing 45 minutes in a 2–0 friendly win with Serbia in St. Gallen and thus becoming the first Betis player since Juanito to don the national team shirt, nearly four years later.
- As of 10 February 2019
|Bilbao Athletic||2005–06||Segunda División B||16||0||—||—||—||16||0|
|2006–07||Segunda División B||29||3||—||—||—||29||3|
|2007–08||Segunda División B||30||2||—||—||—||30||2|
|Athletic Bilbao||2006–07||La Liga||1||0||—||—||—||1||0|
|Conquense (loan)||2008–09||Segunda División B||34||6||1||1||—||—||35||7|
|Betis B||2009–10||Segunda División B||34||3||—||—||—||34||3|
|Athletic Bilbao||2013–14||La Liga||23||1||4||0||—||—||27||1|
- As of 14 November 2012
- "Beñat". Athletic Bilbao. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- Osasuna 1–1 Athletic Bilbao; ESPN Soccernet, 29 October 2006
- "El Conquense consigue la segunda cesión rojiblanca: Beñat" [Conquense get second red-and-white loan: Beñat]. Marca (in Spanish). 10 July 2008. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "El Betis ficha a Beñat (Athletic) y Regino (San Fernando) para el filial" [Betis sign Beñat (Athletic) and Regino (San Fernando) for reserves] (in Spanish). Join Futbol. 7 July 2009. Archived from the original on 14 May 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "El Betis se aferra a la Copa" [Betis hold on to Cup]. Marca (in Spanish). 2 September 2010. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Sevilla let Euro hopes slip; ESPN Soccernet, 2 May 2012
- Betis stun Real Madrid; ESPN Soccernet, 24 November 2012
- "Signing of Beñat Etxebarria". Athletic Bilbao. 26 June 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Athletic Bilbao's intoxicating spirit remains despite move next door". The Guardian. 17 September 2013. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Shoot-out agony for Athletic as Sevilla dream on". UEFA. 14 April 2016. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "¿Qué ocurre con Beñat?" [What's happening with Beñat?]. Deia (in Spanish). 25 September 2017. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Beñat, el Athletic te necesita" [Beñat, Athletic need you]. Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). 13 October 2017. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Adrián está listo para la Eurocopa" [Adrián is ready for Euro]. Marca (in Spanish). 26 May 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "Beñat toma el testigo de Juanito en La Roja" [Beñat takes over for Juanito in La Roja]. Marca (in Spanish). 26 May 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "Beñat: Beñat Etxebarría Urkiaga". BDFutbol. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- "Beñat". Soccerway. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- "Beñat". European Football. Retrieved 23 May 2018.