The bartail flathead (Platycephalus indicus), also called bar-tailed flathead, bartail blenny, gobi, Indian flathead, or Indo-Pacific flathead, is the type species for the fish genus Platycephalus. It is found in the Indian Ocean and western Pacific Ocean. The species has been recorded in the Mediterranean, having invaded as a Lessepsian migrant through the Suez Canal. However, although a number of specimens were caught in trawls in the late 1970s then none were caught until 2011, when one was taken off Lebanon. Following the revision of genus Platycephalus in Australia, Australian specimens previously assigned to this species are now considered a separate species, Platycephalus australis.
Platycephalus indicus grow to a maximum length of 100 cm (39 in) TL, although they are commonly smaller, to 60 cm (24 in) TL. They live on sandy and muddy bottoms of coastal waters, including estuaries, and juveniles have even been taken in freshwater. It is a commercial fish species.
- Knapp, L.W. (2010). "Platycephalus indicus". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. 2010: e.T155105A4708518. doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.2010-4.RLTS.T155105A4708518.en.
- N. Bailly (2017). "Platycephalus indicus (Linnaeus, 1758)". World Register of Marine Species. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2014). "Platycephalus indicus" in FishBase. November 2014 version.
- Eschmeyer, W. N. (7 January 2015). "Catalog of Fishes". California Academy of Sciences. Archived from the original on 3 May 2015. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- Rodríguez, G.; Suárez, H. (2001). "Anthropogenic dispersal of decapod crustaceans in aquatic environments". Interciencia. 26 (7): 282–288. Archived from the original on 2012-12-25.
- "Platycephalus indicus". CIESM Atlas of Exotic Fishes in the Mediterranean Sea. CIESM. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Michel Bariche (2012). "Recent evidence on the presence of Heniochus intermedius (Teleostei: Chaetodontidae) and Platycephalus indicus (Teleostei: Platycephalidae) in the Mediterranean Sea" (PDF). BioInvasions Records. 1 (1): 53–57. doi:10.3391/bir.2012.1.1.12.
- Imamura, H. (2015): Taxonomic revision of the flathead fish genus Platycephalus Bloch, 1785 (Teleostei: Platycephalidae) from Australia, with description of a new species. Zootaxa, 3904 (2): 151–207.
|This Perciformes article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|