The Aisne at Balham
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Jean Durand|
|1.77 km2 (0.68 sq mi)|
|• Density||89/km2 (230/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Balhamais or Balhamaises.
The commune has been awarded one flower by the National Council of Towns and Villages in Bloom in the Competition of cities and villages in Bloom.
Balham is located some 12 km west by south-west of Rethel and 3 km north-east of Asfeld. Access to the commune is by the D926 road from Gomont in the north-east which passes through the village and continues south-west to Asfeld. The commune is mixed forest and farmland.
The Aisne river passes through the centre of the commune flowing from north-east to south-west on its way to join the Oise at Compiègne. The parallel Canal des Ardennes passes through the southern tip of the commune.
Neighbouring communes and villagesEdit
The name Balham comes from the name of a person Ballo + Heim. It was Balaan around 1172 and Balehan in 1211–1212.
Azure, a chevron of Or between three acorns the same, in chief also Or charged with two mullets of Gules.
In 2017 the commune had 152 inhabitants.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE|
Sites and monumentsEdit
- Edmond Louis Alexis Dubois-Crancé (1747-1814), Revolutionary politician, member of the Committee of Public Order, General of the Republic, Commissioner of the Army and Minister of War (September–November 1799), became Mayor of Balham after 1800.
- "Populations légales 2018". INSEE. 28 December 2020.
- Inhabitants of Ardennes (in French)
- Balham in the Competition for Towns and Villages in Bloom Archived December 10, 2014, at the Wayback Machine (in French)
- Google Maps
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Balham, EHESS. (in French)
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00078339 Cemetery (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM08000045 IM08000079 Stained glass window (Bay 0) (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM08000047 Statue: Saint Barbe (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM08000046 Statue: Saint Catherine (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Balham, Ardennes.|