Baby Daddy is an American sitcom created by Dan Berendsen that premiered on June 20, 2012 on ABC Family (later Freeform). The series follows Ben, a man in his twenties, who gets the surprise of his life when a one-night stand leaves his baby at his doorstep. Ben decides to raise his little girl with the help of his brother, Danny, his two close friends, Riley and Tucker, and his sometimes-overbearing mother, Bonnie. Six seasons were produced in total, with the 100th, and final episode airing on May 22, 2017.
|Created by||Dan Berendsen|
|Directed by||Michael Lembeck[a]|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||6|
|No. of episodes||100 (list of episodes)|
|Location(s)||CBS Studio Center
Studio City, California
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Original release||June 20, 2012– May 22, 2017|
Ben Wheeler, a twenty-something bachelor, suddently becomes a father when his baby daughter Emma is left at his doorstep. With the help of his overbearing mother Bonnie, his older brother Danny, and his two best friends Tucker and Riley, Ben works to turn his life around in order to provide for his daughter.
- Benjamin Bon Jovi "Ben" Wheeler (Jean-Luc Bilodeau): The lead character of the series. He was living the life of a bachelor as a bartender in New York City with his buddy Tucker and his older brother Danny. His life was turned upside down when he opened his apartment door to find a baby girl left at his door by a one night stand. The baby turned out to be his daughter Emma. At the beginning of the series, Ben's job was the same throughout the series, with the difference in season 4 when he and Danny became owners of the bar. He and Riley, next-door-neighbor and childhood friend of Ben, dated briefly twice. The relationship fails because Ben didn't live up to Riley's expectations. Eventually, it is revealed how strong Danny's feelings are for Riley. Ben initially denies this until Bonnie intervenes and points out that "Danny has loved Riley nearly his whole life" and tries to get the two together. Throughout Season 6, Ben constantly tries to find Elle, a girl he has fallen for after seeing her three times in the same day during the season 5 finale. In the series finale, Elle is seen looking for Ben throughout the series as well. At the conclusion of the series finale, Elle walks in to deliver Riley's son and Ben immediately recognizes Elle and they end up going out.
- Tucker Thurgood Marshall Dobbs (Tahj Mowry): Ben's best friend and roommate. Tucker is friendly towards everybody as long as they don't eat his food. Tucker has a love-hate and somewhat teasing relationship with Mrs. Wheeler. Ben encouraged Tucker to drop out of law school to pursue a career in television. When his father, Marshall Dobbs (Phil Morris), finds out about this he is at first furious and disowns Tucker. Mr. Dobbs later approves of Tucker's career in the same episode. Tucker has multiple relationships throughout the series but ultimately ends up with Sondra, a talkative fellow tenant whose voice is extremely shrill.
- Daniel Mellencamp "Danny" Wheeler (Derek Theler): Ben's older brother, who is a professional hockey player for the New York Rangers. His little brother looks up to him, and is sometimes envious of Danny being better at everything. It is mentioned many times that Danny is their mother's favorite son, so much so that Mrs. Wheeler sometimes says she only has one son. In Season 4, Danny purchases Ben's place of employment, "Bar on B", for Ben. Danny has also been in love with Riley ever since he was six. Danny and Riley eventually end up together in seasons 5. In the season 5 finale, it is revealed that Riley is pregnant after Danny and Riley become very serious. During Season 6, Danny and Riley get married, and have a son.
- Bonnie N. Walker (née Prapinski; previously Wheeler) (Melissa Peterman): Ben and Danny's mother. She is a happy, outgoing, loud, and dramatic person who has a kind heart. Bonnie loves her kids and her granddaughter more than anything. She loves to drink; her favorite wine is chardonnay. It is hinted many times throughout the series that Bonnie might have a drinking problem. Bonnie has an on and off relationship with Brad Walker since season 3. She later marries Brad in an elevator. She had originally wanted to be a model but those plans changed after having Danny. She later became a realtor. Bonnie is in love with Bon Jovi, so much so that she named her second son "Benjamin Bon Jovi Wheeler". She describes herself as "a beautiful young woman with goals and ambitions."
- Riley Perrin (Chelsea Kane): Ben's close friend and Danny's best friend since they were little. Although Riley dates Ben on and off during the first few seasons of the show, she falls for Danny towards the end of Season 4, and subsequently begin a relationship with him. During the Season 5 season finale, it is revealed that Riley is pregnant. Danny and Riley get married in Season 6, and she gives birth to their son in the series finale. It has been said that she was extremely overweight in high school and, in the season 3 episode "Romancing the Phone" she says she lost 90 pounds. When they were kids, her nickname was "Rigantor" and could beat up the boys, enjoyed watching professional wrestling with Danny, and played field hockey as well as street hockey. She is highly intelligent. Despite having some difficulty with the LSATs, she did well enough to get accepted into law school. Riley is also extremely competitive. She has liked Ben ever since they were young, but only Danny initially knew. In the episode "Send in the Clowns", it is revealed that her aunt was her real mother. In the episode "House of Cards," she mentions a sister, presumably her cousin in reality, whom she claims to "hate".
- Emma Wheeler (Ali Louise and Susanne Allan Hartman in season 1; Mila and Zoey Beske in season 2; Ember and Harper Husak in season 3; Sura and Kayleigh Harris in seasons 4–6): Ben's daughter, who was left at his door by a one night stand. Angela, Emma's mother, and Ben went on with their lives until she realized she was pregnant and gave birth to the child. Deciding that her acting career was more important than raising a child, she left Emma at Ben's front door and gave him full custody of Emma.
- Brad Walker (Peter Porte): A handsome real estate agent who had an on and off relationship with Bonnie since season 3. He had a twin brother named Tad. On the season 4 episode "Parental Guidance", Brad proposed to Bonnie, with her saying yes. Brad and Bonnie officially got married in season 5.
- Dr. Amy Shaw (Lacey Chabert): A psychologist for the New York Rangers and Danny's girlfriend in season 2. She cares deeply for Danny but is constantly worried his feelings for Riley will drive him away. She eventually realizes Danny still has feelings for Riley and breaks up with him in the episode "Surprise!". In season 3, Amy shows up and announces that she is engaged to another man.
- Fitch Douglas (Matt Dallas): Son of a millionaire and Riley's boyfriend in season 2. Fitch does not speak to his family for he feels their money corrupts them. He constantly travels to Africa to help the children and orphanages, having a long distance relationship with Riley. He is seemingly killed in Africa but later turns up alive at his memorial and proposes to Riley. She regretfully declines claiming she is not the one for him. In season 3, he comes back and Riley attempts to make him her rebound to forget Ben.
- Philip Farlow (Christopher O'Shea): A college professor whom Riley briefly dated in season 3.
- Georgie Farlow (Mallory Jansen): Philip's sister who briefly dated Ben, but later developed feelings for Danny in season 3. She is a fashion photographer for Vogue magazine. She doesn't like Riley, but begins to accept her for Danny's sake in the episode "Foos it or Lose It". She breaks up with Danny via voicemail at the beginning of season 4.
- Angela (Mimi Gianopulos): The mother of Emma and the ex-girlfriend of Ben. When her daughter was 3 months old, she abandoned her on Ben's doorstep. She's an aspiring actress who had since moved to California. Although she appears in several episodes, Angela never took the role of Emma's mother as she would often place her career first.
- Megan (Grace Phipps): A day care worker whom Ben dated in season 2. She broke up with him after he almost lost her dog.
- Ray Wheeler (Greg Grunberg): Ben and Danny's father. He is divorced from Bonnie and doesn't get along with her. He makes amends with Bonnie by finally telling his family that he's in a relationship with a man named Steve (Robert Gant).
- Sondra (Rachna Khatau): A neighbor who's known for her talkativeness and distinctive high-pitched voice.
- Robyn (Christa B. Allen): Riley's co worker and Danny's girlfriend in season 4.
- Zoey (Jonna Walsh): A single mother living in the same building as Ben, introduced in season 5. She shares the same interests as Ben, but is reluctant to give in to her romantic feelings because of Ben's immaturity.
- Sam Saffe (Daniella Monet): The manager of the Bar on B in season 5. She went to highschool with Ben, Danny and Riley. Ben had a crush on her in high school but she never reciprocated his feelings. She and Riley did not like each other, despite frequent attempts in both ends to become friends. Sam briefly dates Ben in season 5.
- Elle (Katie Gill): A woman that Ben has met a few brief times and is convinced is his soulmate.
- Carter (Jase Whitaker): Ben's bartender co-worker at the bar Ben eventually ends up owning.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||10||June 20, 2012||August 29, 2012|
|2||16||May 29, 2013||December 11, 2013|
|3||21||January 15, 2014||June 18, 2014|
|4||22||October 22, 2014||August 5, 2015|
|5||20||February 3, 2016||August 3, 2016|
|6||11||March 13, 2017||May 22, 2017|
Development and productionEdit
The series was given a green-light on February 2, 2012 and began production on March 28, 2012. On August 17, 2012, the series renewed for a second season, which premiered on May 29, 2013. On March 22, 2013, ABC Family announced that Baby Daddy was renewed for a third season, two months before the second season premiered. The third season premiered on January 15, 2014. Baby Daddy was renewed for a fourth season on March 17, 2014. It premiered on October 22, 2014, with the series' first Halloween episode "Strip or Treat". On February 27, 2015, the series was renewed for a fifth season. It premiered on February 3, 2016. On June 27, 2016, Freeform renewed the show for a sixth season. It premiered on March 13, 2017.
The series premiered in the United States on June 20, 2012, on ABC Family.
In the United Kingdom, the series began airing on E4 on February 16, 2015. The second season started on March 2, 2015. Series 3 aired in April 2015. Series 4 aired in September 2015. Series 5 will premiere 5th September 2016.
In Israel, the series airs weeknights (two episodes each) since July 2016. In South Africa aired 5 September 2015.
In Italy, the series began airing on Joi Premium, pay channel on the DTT platform Mediaset Premium from 22 February 2013 to 22 March 2013. The second, third, fourth and fifth seasons were broadcast on the streaming platform Mediaset Infinity from 2015 to 2016. The sixth season were made entirely available on October 4, 2017 on the streaming platform Mediaset Infinity.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2012||Teen Choice Awards||Summer TV Star: Male||Jean-Luc Bilodeau||Nominated|
|Summer TV Star: Female||Chelsea Kane||Nominated|
|2013||Teen Choice Awards||Breakout Show||Baby Daddy||Nominated|
|Breakout Star||Derek Theler||Nominated|
|Scene Stealer: Male||Tahj Mowry||Nominated|
|Summer TV Star: Male||Jean-Luc Bilodeau||Nominated|
|Summer TV Star: Female||Chelsea Kane||Nominated|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Summer Show||Baby Daddy||Nominated|
|Scene Stealer: Male||Tahj Mowry||Nominated|
|Summer TV Star: Male||Jean-Luc Bilodeau||Nominated|
|2015||People's Choice Awards||Favourite Cable TV Comedy||Baby Daddy||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Summer TV Series||Baby Daddy||Nominated|
|2016||People's Choice Awards||Favourite Cable TV Comedy||Baby Daddy||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Scene Stealer||Tahj Mowry||Nominated|
|Choice TV: Liplock||Chelsea Kane and Derek Theler||Nominated|
|Choice Summer TV Show||Baby Daddy||Nominated|
|Choice Summer TV Star: Male||Jean-Luc Bilodeau||Nominated|
|2017||People's Choice Awards||Favorite Cable TV Comedy||Baby Daddy||Won|
|Art Directors Guild Awards 2016||Multi-Camera Series||Greg Grande – Baby Daddy||Nominated|
Baby Daddy received mixed reviews. On Metacritic, the first season of the show holds a 51 out of 100 Metascore based on 8 reviews, indicating "mixed or average reviews". On Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds a 36% approval rating based on 11 reviews, with an average rating of 5.08/10. Audience score holds 84% (Season 1), 86% (Season 2), 90% (Season 3), 93% (Seasons 4 and 5), 100% (Season 6).
- The majority of episodes of the series were directed by Lembeck, other than him, Arlene Sanford directed "Take Her Out of the Ballgame" (season 1, episode 6), Robbie Countryman directed "There's Something Fitchy Going On" (season 2, episode 2) and Bob Koherr directed "New Bonnie vs. Old Ben" (season 2, episode 4).
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 28, 2012). "ABC Family has Begun Production on the New Comedy Series 'Baby Daddy'". TV by the Numbers.
- Bob Koherr (director), Vince Cheung and Ben Montanio (writers) (June 12, 2013). "New Bonnie vs. Old Ben". Baby Daddy. Season 2. Episode 4. 18:32 minutes in. ABC Family.
- "ABC Family's New Series Baby Daddy Casts Lead Role". ABC Family. March 1, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-05-08.
- Michael Lembeck (director), Frank Pines (writer) (April 30, 2014). "From Here to Paternity". Baby Daddy. Season 3. Episode 15. 18:00 minutes in. ABC Family.
- "Meet the Cast of ABC Family's Baby Daddy: Tahj Mowry". ABC Family. Archived from the original on 2012-07-07.
- Michael Lembeck (director), Kirill Baru & Eric Zimmerman (writers) (May 7, 2014). "Curious Georgie". Baby Daddy. Season 3. Episode 16. 02:21 minutes in. ABC Family.
- "Casting News! Chelsea Kane Joins Baby Daddy Cast". January 28, 2012. Archived from the original on October 30, 2011. - ABC Family
- "On the Heels of Its Most Successful year on Record ABC Family Announces the First Portion of Its New Original Programming Slate". The Futon Critic. February 2, 2012. Retrieved May 19, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "ABC Family Sets Summer Premiere Dates". Deadline.com. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "ABC Family Renews 'Baby Daddy' For Season 3". Deadline.com. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- Baby Daddy, Episode Title: "The Naked Truth", TheFutonCritic.com
- Bibel, Sara (March 17, 2014). "'Melissa & Joey' & 'Baby Daddy' Renewed for Season 4 by ABC Family & Network Orders 3 Drama Pilots". TV by the Numbers (Press release). Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- "BABY DADDY on ABC FAMILY Episode Title: "Strip or Treat"". TheFutonCritic.com (Press release). Retrieved October 23, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 27, 2015). "'Baby Daddy' Renewed for Fifth Season by ABC Family". tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved February 27, 2015.
- "BABY DADDY on FREEFORM Episode Title: "SLove and Carriage"". TheFutonCritic.com (Press release). Retrieved February 4, 2014.
- Swift, Andy; Swift, Andy (27 June 2016). "Baby Daddy Renewed for Season 6".
- "'Baby Daddy' Season 6: Release Date, Casts, And More". January 16, 2017.
- Swift, Andy (May 13, 2017). "Baby Daddy Ending With Season 6". TVLine. United States: Penske Media Corporation. Archived from the original on May 13, 2017. Retrieved May 13, 2017.
- Knox, David (10 September 2013). "FOX8 premieres: Sept / Oct". TV Tonight. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- DHiggins (29 April 2014). "New this week on Foxtel: River Cottage Australia, The Americans, A-League grand final & more". Foxtel. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- DHiggins (18 August 2014). "New this week: Louie S4, House Of Lies S2, Helpmann Awards, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and more". Foxtel. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- Munn, Patrick (February 18, 2015). "E4 Sets UK Premiere Date For 'Baby Daddy' Season 2". TV Wise. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- Munn, Patrick (August 26, 2015). "E4 Sets UK Premiere Date For 'Baby Daddy' Season 4". TV Wise. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- "Baby Daddy on Metacritic". metacritic.com. June 20, 2012. Retrieved April 17, 2017.
- "Baby Daddy on Rotten Tomatoes". rottentomatoes.com. June 20, 2012. Retrieved April 17, 2017.