BOTAŞ Petroleum Pipeline Corporation (BOTAS) is the state-owned crude oil and natural gas pipelines and trading company in Turkey. The company was established in 1974 as a subsidiary of TPAO. Since 1995, BOTAS is a wholly state-owned company.
|Founder||Türkiye Petrolleri Anonim Ortaklığı|
|Abdulvahit Fidan (Chairman of the Board of Directors and General Manager)|
|Services||Oil and Natural Gas Transmission, Natural Gas Storage, Natural Gas Trade|
|Owner||Turkey Wealth Fund|
|Divisions||Natural Gas Operations District Management, Petroleum Operations District Management, Dörtyol Operation Management, LNG Operation Management|
BOTAŞ was originally established in 1974 for construction and operation of the Kirkuk-Ceyhan Oil Pipeline. Since 1987, BOTAŞ has been also involved in the natural gas transportation and trade activities. From February 9, 1990, until May 2, 2001, BOTAŞ had monopoly rights on natural gas import, distribution, sales and pricing. In practice, the gas distribution monopoly of BOTAŞ ended only in 2007, when Royal Dutch Shell and Bosphorus Gaz, a joint venture of Gazprom and Tur Enerji, started to sell natural gas in the market.
Pipeline operations edit
In addition to the Kirkuk-Ceyhan Oil Pipeline, BOTAŞ owns and operates Ceyhan-Kırıkkale, Batman-Dörtyol, and Şelmo-Batman crude oil pipelines. It also owns and operates the national gas grid of Turkey with total length of 4,500 kilometres (2,800 mi), and Marmara Ereğlisi Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Import Terminal. Internationally, BOTAŞ participates in the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline, Arab Gas Pipeline section between Syria and Turkey, and Turkey-Greece pipeline. It is also partner in the Nabucco Pipeline project.
Energy analysts think that imports from Azerbaijan are being bought at a discounted spot price until 2024. In 2019 BOTAŞ made an operating loss of 2 million 3 hundred thousand lira for each of its 2700 employees.: 28 The company is on the Global Oil & Gas Exit List.
See also edit
- "Board" (in Turkish). 2023-10-01. Retrieved 2023-10-31.
- "About us - BOTAS AS". Nabucco Gas Pipeline International GmbH. Archived from the original on 2008-02-14. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- "Shell first to end Botas gas monopoly in Turkey". Reuters. 2007-02-02. Archived from the original on 12 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- "RWE joins Nabucco consortium as sixth partner" (PDF) (Press release). Nabucco Gas Pipeline International GmbH. 2008-02-06. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-05-30. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "Azerbaijan and Turkey tight-lipped over new gas deal | Eurasianet". eurasianet.org. Retrieved 2021-10-02.
- 2019 Annual Ownership Report for State Owned Enterprises (PDF). Ministry of Treasury and Finance (Turkey) (Report).
- "Global Oil & Gas Exit List". Urgewald. Retrieved 2022-11-10.