Axiom Mission 2 (or Ax-2) is a planned private crew mission to the International Space Station (ISS), operated by Axiom Space. Its first two crew members have been announced in May 2021. In December 2021, NASA confirmed that the mission would fly on a Crew Dragon. In August 2022, NASA announced that the mission would launch in the second quarter of 2023. It is the second Axiom mission, after Axiom Mission 1 in April 2022.
|Mission type||Private Crew|
|Mission duration||16 days (planned)|
|Spacecraft type||Crew Dragon|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||May 2023 (planned)|
|Rocket||Falcon 9 Block 5|
|Launch site||Kennedy Space Center, LC-39A|
|End of mission|
|Landing site||Atlantic Ocean|
|Reference system||Geocentric orbit|
|Regime||Low Earth orbit|
|Docking with ISS|
|Docking port||Harmony forward or zenith|
|Time docked||14 days (planned) |
The crew will include former NASA Astronaut Peggy Whitson as mission commander and John Shoffner as pilot. It was confirmed on 2 June 2021 that the mission would use a SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft.
On January 11, 2022, Axiom announced Italian Air Force (ItAF) Colonel Walter Villadei as the company’s first international professional astronaut. He is currently in training in Houston. Col. Villadei has been selected by Axiom as a backup on the Ax-2 mission. In September 2022 it was reported that Saudi Arabia's Saudi Space Commission bought the remaining two seats for the mission, including one for a female astronaut.
|Spacecraft commander|| Peggy Whitson, Axiom Space|
|Pilot|| John Shoffner, Axiom Space|
|Mission Specialist 1|| TBA, SSC|
|Mission Specialist 2|| TBA, SSC|
- "NASA, Axiom Sign Second Private Astronaut Mission to Space Station Order". NASA (Press release). 31 August 2022. Retrieved 31 August 2022.
- "NASA Selects Second Private Astronaut Mission to Space Station". NASA. 13 December 2021. Retrieved 14 December 2021. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Record-holding astronaut Peggy Whitson and mission pilot John Shoffner to lead Axiom Space's Ax-2 mission to enable new research in space". Axiom Space. 25 May 2021. Retrieved 25 May 2021.
- Harwood, William (25 May 2021). "Whitson to command planned commercial flight to space station". Spaceflight Now. Retrieved 25 May 2021.
- "Axiom Space signs blockbuster deal with SpaceX through 2023 to fly three additional Axiom private crew missions to ISS" (PDF). Axiom Space. 2 June 2021. Retrieved 2 June 2021.
- "Axiom Space to train Italian Air Force's Col. Walter Villadei as professional astronaut for future space mission". Axiom Space. 11 January 2022. Retrieved 25 May 2022.
- "Axiom Space and Italian Government Sign Historic MOU to Expand Commercial Utilization of Space". Axiom Space. 25 May 2022. Retrieved 25 May 2022.
- Roulette, Joey (21 September 2022). "Exclusive: Saudi Arabia buys pair of SpaceX astronaut seats from Axiom -sources". Reuters.
- Saudi Arabia plans to send female astronaut to space in 2023