Armature Studio, LLC is an American video game development studio in Austin, Texas. In April 2008, after completing Metroid Prime 3: Corruption in 2007 for Nintendo, former game director Mark Pacini, art director Todd Keller, and principal technology engineer Jack Matthews left Retro Studios to start Armature, which was founded in September 2008. Armature's first game was Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for the PlayStation Vita in 2012. In April 2013, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced that Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate would be developed by Armature as their first new work and released for both the PlayStation Vita and the Nintendo 3DS on October 25, 2013. The third game developed was the PlayStation Vita edition of Injustice: Gods Among Us.
Computer and video games
|Headquarters||Austin, Texas, United States|
Number of employees
The studio was originally responsible to handle porting Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night to the PlayStation Vita and Wii U. This will include porting Unreal Engine 4 to both platforms, as they are not supported by the engine natively. Armature was going to make their engine code available to licensed PS Vita and Wii U developers after Bloodstained is finished. However, the game has since been cancelled on both platforms for various reasons as the game's development extended to 2019.
In October 2015, the studio announced its first original intellectual property, Dead Star, which is a space-themed multiplayer online multidirectional shooter. It was released on April 5, 2016 for Microsoft Windows and PlayStation 4, but online functionality was disabled on November 1, 2016 and the game is no longer available for purchase.
Armature has since collaborated with Epic Games in providing development support for Fortnite, and made two games for virtual reality headsets, with Fail Factory for the Gear VR and Sports Scramble for the Oculus Quest.
|2012||Metal Gear Solid HD Collection||No||No||No||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|2013||Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|2013||Injustice: Gods Among Us||No||No||No||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|2014||The Unfinished Swan||No||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|2015||Borderlands: The Handsome Collection||No||No||Yes||No||No||No||No||Yes||No||No|
- Kollar, Philip (2013-06-12). "A tale of two Batmen: the dueling philosophies of WB Montreal and Armature Studio". Polygon. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- JC Fletcher (2012-03-11). "Armature Studio assisting with Metal Gear Solid: HD Edition on Vita". Joystiq. Archived from the original on 2013-10-14. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- "Injustice: Gods Among Us on Vita feels like a faithful port". Polygon. 2013-08-01. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- "Update 21: Update 21: $4mm, Armaturity, Ending Stream, New Game Plus · Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night". Kickstarter.
- Nutt, Christian. "Bloodstained port house Armature to freely offer its UE4 Wii U/Vita code base".
- Bloodstained announced for Switch, cancelled for Wii U
- Development Update - An important message from IGA
- Albaraa Fahmy (October 6, 2015). "Armature Studio is working on a new game called Dead Star for PS4 and PC". Digital Spy. Retrieved October 13, 2015.
- "Online functionality (including multiplayer) for Dead Star will cease". Twitter. Retrieved 2017-02-10.
- Fortnite at Armature
- Frantic Fun: Introducing ‘Fail Factory’ from Armature Studios, Coming Soon to Gear VR
- Oculus Gaming News: First Playables for Rift S, New Titles, Cross-Platform Play, and More
- "The Handsome Collection' Of 'Borderlands 2' and "The Pre-Sequel' Is Coming To PS4 And Xbox One". Inquisitr. 2015-01-21. Retrieved 2015-01-21.
- "Fail Factory! A wacky VR game of escalating failure".
- "Sports Scramble Mixing it up on Oculus Quest".