André Holland (born December 28, 1979) is an American actor, known for his roles as Kevin in Moonlight and as Matt Miller on the FX series American Horror Story: Roanoke. He portrayed politician and activist Andrew Young in the 2014 film Selma, sportswriter Wendell Smith in the 2013 film 42, and Dr. Algernon Edwards in The Knick.
Holland at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival
December 28, 1979 |
Bessemer, Alabama, U.S.
Holland was born in Bessemer, Alabama, and graduated from John Carroll Catholic High School. His first stage performance was in a production of Oliver! at the Birmingham Summerfest Theatre, at the age of eleven. He attended Florida State University and received a Master of Fine Arts degree from New York University in 2006.
Holland has performed in several theatre productions. In 2006, he portrayed three characters in the play Blue Door. Charles Isherwood of The New York Times gave his performance a positive review. In 2008, he played Eric in the play Wig Out! The following year, he portrayed Elegba / Marcus in The Brother/Sister Plays. In 2010, he was cast in the Matthew Lopez play The Whipping Man, for which he won the Vivian Robinson/Audelco Award for Best Supporting Actor. In 2017, he portrayed Youngblood in August Wilson's play Jitney on Broadway. In 2018 he has been cast in a production of Othello at Shakespeare's Globe, costarring with Mark Rylance. He has also made his Off Off Broadway directing debut with a production of Greg Keller's Dutch Masters at Wild Project.
Holland has enjoyed success in both television and film. In 2011, he starred as Julian "Fitz" Fitzgerald on the NBC sitcom Friends with Benefits. Holland also appears with Clive Owen in the Cinemax original drama series The Knick. In 2014, he portrayed Andrew Young in Ava DuVernay's historical drama film Selma. In 2016, he starred as Kevin in Barry Jenkins' Moonlight, for which he received critical acclaim and numerous awards; the film won Best Picture at the 89th Academy Awards. Holland appeared in DuVernay's fantasy adventure film A Wrinkle in Time, released in March 2018, and will star in Steve McQueen's Widows, which is scheduled for November 2018.
|2006||Law & Order||David Sachs||Episode: "Public Service Homicide"|
|2007||The Black Donnellys||Frank Thomas||Episode: "Wasn't That Enough?"|
|2007||The News||DeShawn Burkett||Television film|
|2009||Lost & Found||Gayle Dixon||Television film|
|2010||The Rockford Files||Angel Martin||Television film|
|2010||Damages||Bank Manager||Episode: "You Haven't Replaced Me"|
|2011||Friends with Benefits||Julian "Fitz" Fitzgerald||13 episodes|
|2011||Burn Notice||Dion Carver||Episode: "Breaking Point"|
|2012–2013||1600 Penn||Marshall Malloy||13 episodes|
|2014–2015||The Knick||Dr. Algernon Edwards||20 episodes
Satellite Award for Best Cast – Television Series
Nominated – Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Nominated – Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Television Film
|2016||American Horror Story: Roanoke||Matt Miller||9 episodes|
|2018||Castle Rock||Henry||10 episodes|
- "From Bessemer to Brooklyn: John Carroll graduate Andre Holland arrives in Jackie Robinson film '42'". AL.com. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- Bird, Alan (June 6, 2011). "André Holland - Questions and Answers - Interview". New York Theatre Guide. Retrieved February 11, 2013.
- Isherwood, Charles (October 9, 2006). "Blue Door - Theater - Review". The New York Times. Retrieved February 11, 2013.
- Blankenship, Mark (September 30, 2008). "Wig Out!". Variety. Retrieved February 11, 2013.
- Hetrick, Adam (September 15, 2009). "Holland, Simms, Johnson and More Set for The Brother/Sister Plays at the Public". Playbill. Retrieved February 11, 2013.
- Gans, Andrew (November 22, 2010). "Andre Holland and Jay Wilkison Will Join Andre Braugher in MTC's Premiere of Whipping Man". Playbill. Retrieved February 11, 2013.
- Bacalzo, Dan (November 17, 2011). "Andre De Shields, Andre Holland, Sanaa Lathan et al. Win Audelco Awards". Theatermania. Retrieved February 11, 2013.
- "'Moonlight' Star André Holland Opens in August Wilson's 'Jitney' on Broadway: REVIEW - Towleroad". Towleroad. January 23, 2017. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- Wood, Alex (April 11, 2018). "'Michelle Terry to play Hamlet in her inaugural season at Shakespeare's Globe". WhatsOnStage.com. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- Soloski, Alexis (April 10, 2018). "Review: In 'Dutch Masters,' Subway Seatmates, So Close and Yet So Far". The New York Times. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- Niles, Jon. "EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: 'The Knick' Star André Holland Talks Algernon Edwards & Cornelia Robertson's Relationship, Race Issues & More About New Cinemax Series". MStarz.com. Retrieved August 17, 2014.
- Kit, Borys (May 7, 2014). "'42' Actor Joins Martin Luther King Drama 'Selma'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- Viera, Bené (October 26, 2016). "Moonlight's André Holland Talks About His Unforgettable Performance". GQ. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- Hipes, Patrick (November 2, 2016). "'A Wrinkle In Time' Adds Michael Peña, Zach Galifianakis, André Holland & More To Round Out Cast – Update". Deadline.com.
- Kroll, Justin (January 13, 2017). "'Moonlight' Star Andre Holland Joins Viola Davis in Steve McQueen's 'Widows' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved February 27, 2017.