A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (May 2016)
Anca Maria Neacșu
8 August 1987
|Education||University of Galați|
|Known for||Arms dealer and former model|
|Height||179 cm (5 ft 10 in)|
|Spouse(s)||Abhishek Verma (married 2006–present)|
Verma graduated from the University of Galați with a master's degree in engineering. After leaving modelling, she joined Atlas Telecom Network Romania, a mobile service provider, and was appointed the Deputy general manager of Bucharest operations. Upon her marriage to Abhishek Verma in 2006, she became his lieutenant in his global weapons trade and defense supplies business; in 2011 she bought into 51% equity and was appointed the Managing Director of SIG Sauer India, a joint venture with the multinational weapons contractor.
Verma is the Chairperson of Olialia World a fast moving consumer goods multinational corporation with annual revenues of US$2 billion. Verma was awarded the contract to construct & own Maldives International Airport with an investment of US$500 million. This airport would be known as 'Olialia International Airport' for 50 years. Close to the international airport in Maldives, Verma is developing another island into a five star hotel called the Olialia Island Resort which is staffed only by blonde women.
Verma is involved in philanthropic activities in India and Romania. In March 2020 Verma donated millions of facemasks, sanitizers and medical supplies to hospitals in India to protect healthcare professionals and patients from Corona Virus flu.
Arrest and imprisonment
Verma and her husband have been accused of corruption and money laundering and were arrested by the CBI for supposedly bribing Indian defense officials to secure billion-dollar weapons contracts. On 8 June 2012 they were both imprisoned in Tihar Jail, Delhi. Verma was the inspiration for author Sunetra Choudhury who wrote a book Prison Tales published by Roli Books and featured Verma as the VIP inmate who wore 24K gold plated Louis Vuitton high heel shoes in prison.
Verma's bail plea was rejected by the Delhi High Court in March 2015, but on 20 May 2016 the court granted her bail after four years in prison. According to Indian investigators, their attempts to freeze Verma's offshore bank accounts in the tax haven of Principality of Liechtenstein had been unsuccessful as the Liechtenstein government rejected the request from Enforcement Directorate India, calling it a 'fishing expedition' as no charges had been brought forward that could constitute a criminal offence in Liechtenstein or the European Union.
- "Indian Billionaire Abhishek Verma forms Strategic Alliance". outlookindia.com/. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- "End of the high road for Abhishek Verma?". The New Indian Express.
- "Former Miss Romania Universe Anca Verma walks the ramp to raise fund for cancer survivors | National Business Mirror". Retrieved 19 April 2020.
- Pioneer, The. "Banish the shame". The Pioneer. Retrieved 19 April 2020.
- "Atlas Telecom Romania". Archived from the original on 1 May 2016.
- "Joined billionaires club in Romania". Archived from the original on 1 December 2017. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "SIG SAUER shareholders & directors details".
- "SIG SAUER Joint Venture".
- "Foreigners' ministry of defence access sparks concern". The Times of India.
- "SIG SAUER Billion dollar deals".
- "The Times Group". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Nazeer, Ali. "Olialia investment in Maldives involves nothing unusual: says country partner". alinazeer.com. Retrieved 24 November 2017.[permanent dead link]
- "Olialia Calendar Launch Party". allevents.in. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Maldives 'invites' company of an arms dealer to construct international airport". Maldives Times. 10 October 2017. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Maldives awards Olialia India, Abhishek Verma's firm to build international airport". newsleakcentre.com. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Miliardara romanca din India investeste 500 milioane dolari in Insulele Maldive! Anca este sotia dealerului de arme Abhishek Verma si vrea sa construiasca un aeroport international pe celebra insula". WOWBiz. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Indian company linked to 'arms dealer' invited to build Maldives airport". ThePrint. 16 October 2017. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Anca Verma, cea mai bogată româncă! – ROMANIAVIPPRESS". ROMANIAVIPPRESS (in Romanian). 16 October 2016. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Pawlowski, A. "Firm plans resort staffed by blondes only". CNN. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Newling, Dan (5 October 2010). "Island to be staffed exclusively by blondes". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- IN, FashionNetwork com. "Festival of Hope holds 13th charity fashion show in New Delhi". FashionNetwork.com. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- Team, N. P. M. (30 March 2020). "Coronavirus: Philanthropists Abhishek and Anca Verma donate medical supplies in India". Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- Administrator. "Huge international scandal! Romanian Anca Maria Neacsu and her husband, billionaire Verma arrested in India". Bucharest Herald. Archived from the original on 1 December 2017. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Abhishek Verma's universe of lust and lucre". India Today.
- "How arms dealer Abhishek Verma exploited top-secret defence information". ndtv.com.
- "Arms dealer, wife have a jailhouse romance in Tihar". hindustantimes.com/. 27 January 2014.
- "Romanca arestata in India alaturi de sotul ei..." Cancan.ro.
- "De la recepţioneră, la afaceri de miliarde de dolari". evz.ro. 14 June 2012.
- Choudhury, Sunetra. "This is how wealthy prisoners can get luxuries in jail (just like Sasikala did?)". Scroll.in. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- "HC dismisses bail plea of Verma's wife, former IAF officer". Business Standard. Press Trust of India. 16 March 2015.
- "Secret funds of Anca Verma in Liechtenstein – Economic Times article". 22 May 2015.
- Kumar, Nirnimesh (27 April 2017). "Court discharges Abhishek Verma, wife in graft cases". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- IANS (26 April 2017). "Court discharges arms dealer Verma, wife in two cases". Business Standard India. Retrieved 24 November 2017.