This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2020)
Alliant Credit Union is a member-owned financial cooperative headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. Alliant services employees, retirees, and members of qualifying organizations and their family members; any member of the Foster Care to Success; and individuals who live or work in a qualifying community and their family members. Founded in 1935, Alliant is the ninth largest credit union by asset size in the United States with $14 billion USD in assets, and serves more than 600,000 members nationwide.
|Predecessor||United Airlines Employees' Credit Union|
|Founded||October 26, 1935|
|Products||Savings; Checking; Consumer Loans; Credit Cards; Investments; Online Banking|
|US$262 million (2021)|
|Total assets||US$15.2 billion (2021)|
|Total equity||US$1.5 billion (2021)|
Number of employees
On October 26, 1935, a small group of United Airlines employees organized a credit union. The credit union was founded as United Airlines Employees' Credit Union (UAECU), but in 2003, the name was changed to Alliant Credit Union. After 68 years as a single-sponsor credit union, the credit union diversified membership and by the end of 2003, offered services to 27 sponsor organizations and to individuals who lived and worked in 19 communities around O'Hare International Airport. Today, Alliant Credit Union offers membership to over 150 organizations and continues to offer services to communities around O'Hare International Airport.
Mergers and acquisitionsEdit
In 2008, Alliant Credit Union acquired Kaiperm Federal Credit Union of Oakland, California.
Regulatory oversight and deposit insuranceEdit
Alliant Credit Union is an Illinois chartered credit union, and is under the supervision of the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR)and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). Alliant Credit Union's share savings accounts are insured by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), an independent agency of the federal government, which administers the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF). The NCUA and IDFPR conduct periodic examinations of Alliant.
Alliant Credit Union membership is a benefit available to individuals who meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- Any employee or member of a qualifying organization.
- A person that lives, works, or worships in a qualifying Chicago area community.
- Any member of Foster Care to Success.
- Any person related to by blood or law to an existing Alliant member.
- Any domestic partners of unmarried members.
Products and servicesEdit
Alliant Credit Union's product line includes savings accounts, checking accounts, certificates, IRAs, consumer loans, and Visa credit cards. An Alliant savings account establishes membership with Alliant Credit Union and the initial savings deposit is $5. The savings account options are Regular Savings, Supplemental Savings, Custodial Savings, and Kidz Klub for youngsters under 12 years of age. To receive monthly dividends the savings account requires an average daily balance of $100 or more. Alliant's checking is free with the first set of checks being free and opting out of paper statements, and having at least one monthly electronic deposit is required for the high rate checking option. Consumer loans include mortgages and vehicle and personal loans. Alliant also offers investment services and insurance. Alliant offered Health Savings Accounts, until 2017, when it sold the accounts to Health Equity.
Alliant's services include Alliant online banking, free bill pay, mobile deposit, ATM deposit, eDeposit, and eDepositPlus. eDeposit gives qualified Alliant members the ability to make deposits online before mailing the actual checks in special eDeposit envelopes to the credit union. eDepositPlus allows members to remotely deposit checks using a home scanner.
Alliant Credit Union FoundationEdit
The Alliant Credit Union Foundation is a separate, independent legal entity, incorporated in Illinois and operated by a Board of Directors composed of Alliant Credit Union employees. The Foundation is a not-for-profit charitable foundation established to promote economic empowerment and self-sufficiency in communities where Alliant Credit Union members and employees live and work. Specific types of support that will be provided include: education, service, grants and investments.
In 2010, the Alliant Credit Union Foundation completed its first year of operations. During that year, the Foundation donated $200,000 to worthy causes. Causes eligible for Foundation financial support were those in line with its mission.
- "Alliant Credit Union Official Web Site". Archived from the original on 23 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- "2021 Annual Report", Alliant Credit Union
- "Alliant Credit Union iBanknet". ibanknet.com. Retrieved 23 February 2022.
- "About Alliant Credit Union".
- "Largest Credit Unions in the United States".
- "Alliant Credit Union Connections Newsletter". Alliant Credit Union. September 2010. Archived from the original on 23 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- "Membership Eligibility". Archived from the original on 23 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- "Alliant CU and Continental FCU Merge Into a Strategic Flight Plan". Credit Union Times. 2008-10-08. Archived from the original on 2012-07-23. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- Samaad, Michelle (2010-09-15). "Alliant CU and Continental FCU Merge Into a Strategic Flight Plan". Credit Union Times. Archived from the original on 2012-07-23. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- "Defeat Of Hostile CU Takeover Cost Members $5 Million Payout". Credit Union Journal. 2011-02-01. Retrieved 2011-02-08.
- Rubenstein, Jim (2010-02-08). "Alliant Completes Continental FCU Merger". Credit Union Times. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- "About Alliant". Archived from the original on 23 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- "HealthEquity to Serve Alliant Credit Union HSA Members | Healthequity Inc".
- "Borrow: Online Credit Union Loans". Alliant Credit Union.
- "The Best Savings Accounts for Kids for 2022". Investopedia. Retrieved 23 February 2022.
- "Alliant Credit Union Launches Charitable Foundation". Operation HOPE Blog. Operation HOPE. Archived from the original on 29 April 2016. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- "Donations, Alliant Credit Union". Credit Union Times. 2010-11-03. Archived from the original on 2011-02-01. Retrieved 2011-02-03.