Open main menu

Aley (Arabic: عاليه‎) is a district (qadaa) in Mount Lebanon, Lebanon, to the south-east of the Lebanon's capital Beirut. The capital is Aley. Aley city was previously known as the "bride of the summers" during the 1960 and 1970s, when Aley and neighboring Bhamdoune were attractive tourist locations for Gulf tourists and Lebanese emigres.

Aalay District
Location in Lebanon
Location in Lebanon
Country Lebanon
GovernorateMount Lebanon Governorate
 • Total102 sq mi (264 km2)
 • Total250,000
Time zoneUTC+2 (EST)
 • Summer (DST)+3

The district elects 5 members of parliament, 3 Christians, (1 Orthodox and 2 Maronite, 2 Druze. During the 1975-1990 Civil War in Lebanon, Aley witnessed several battles around its environs.



Like the neighboring Chouf District, the Aley district is also one of the most religiously diverse areas in Lebanon. The largest religious community in the Aley district is the Druze denomination, followed by the Maronite, and Greek Orthodox Christian denominations. There are also small communities of Sunni, and Shiite Muslims. It is estimated that roughly 65% of the district is of the Druze sect, while the remaining 35% is of the Christian sect.

External linksEdit