Alexander Douglas-Hamilton, 16th Duke of Hamilton
The Duke of Hamilton and Brandon
|Duke of Hamilton|
|Tenure||2010 – present|
|Born||Alexander Douglas Douglas-Hamilton|
31 March 1978
|Father||Angus Douglas-Hamilton, 15th Duke of Hamilton|
|Mother||Sarah Jane Scott|
He is the son of Angus Douglas-Hamilton, 15th Duke of Hamilton, and his first wife, Sarah Scott.
He was educated at Keil School, Dumbarton, and Gordonstoun in Scotland. Upon the death of his father on 5 June 2010, he became the 16th Duke of Hamilton in the Peerage of Scotland and 13th Duke of Brandon in the Peerage of Great Britain. He inherited the additional titles Marquess of Douglas, Marquess of Clydesdale, Earl of Angus, Earl of Lanark, Earl of Arran and Cambridge, Lord Abernethy and Jedburgh Forest, Lord Machanshyre and Polmont and Lord Aven and Innerdale in the Peerage of Scotland, and Baron Dutton, in the Peerage of Great Britain. He is the Hereditary Keeper of the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
Marriage and childrenEdit
On 7 May 2011, he married Sophie Ann Rutherford (born 8 December 1976) in Edinburgh. She is an interior designer and the daughter of Hubert A. J. Rutherford (born 1940), of Roxburghshire, and Isabel W. Taylor (born 1943), of Edinburgh. The best man was the Duke's younger brother, Lord John Douglas-Hamilton, who was his heir presumptive at the time. The couple have three children:
- Douglas Charles Douglas-Hamilton, Marquess of Douglas and Clydesdale (born 9 July 2012),
- Lord William Frederick Douglas-Hamilton (born 11 May 2014),
- Lord Basil George Douglas-Hamilton (born 4 April 2016).
- Pearson, Geoff (9 June 2010). "The Duke of Hamilton". The Independent. London.
- Wedding of 16th Duke of Hamilton – website East Lothian Courier
- Alexander Douglas Douglas-Hamilton, 16th Duke of Hamilton, The Douglas Archives, 26 March 2013, accessed 13 July 2013
|Peerage of Scotland|
| Duke of Hamilton
|Peerage of Great Britain|
| Duke of Brandon
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
The Duke of Rutland
The Duke of Hamilton
The Duke of Buccleuch