Angus Douglas-Hamilton, 15th Duke of Hamilton
Angus Alan Douglas Douglas-Hamilton, 15th Duke of Hamilton and 12th Duke of Brandon (13 September 1938 – 5 June 2010), styled Earl of Angus until 1940 and Marquess of Douglas and Clydesdale between 1940 and 1973, was the premier peer of Scotland.
The Duke of Hamilton
|15th Duke of Hamilton|
|Tenure||30 March 1973 – 5 June 2010|
|Predecessor||Douglas Douglas-Hamilton, 14th Duke of Hamilton|
|Successor||Alexander Douglas-Hamilton, 16th Duke of Hamilton|
|Born||13 September 1938|
|Died||5 June 2010 (aged 71)|
|Spouse(s)||Sarah Jane Scott|
Lady Eleanor Douglas-Hamilton
Lady Ann Douglas-Hamilton
Alexander Douglas-Hamilton, 16th Duke of Hamilton
Lord John William Douglas-Hamilton
|Parents||Douglas Douglas-Hamilton, 14th Duke of Hamilton|
Lady Elizabeth Ivy Percy
The son of the 14th Duke of Hamilton and Lady Elizabeth Percy, daughter of the 8th Duke of Northumberland, he was educated at Eton College and Balliol College, Oxford (as was his father before him). One of his younger brothers is the Scottish Conservative and Unionist politician James Douglas-Hamilton, Baron Selkirk of Douglas.
At the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II he was a page in Westminster Abbey and was awarded the 1952 Coronation Medal.
He was Hereditary Keeper of the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
By right of his subsidiary title of Lord Abernethy, he was hereditary bearer of the Crown of Scotland to the Parliament of Scotland. The Duke of Hamilton fulfilled that duty by carrying the Crown in front of Her Majesty The Queen at the opening ceremony of the Scottish Parliament.
Marriages and childrenEdit
The 15th Duke married three times:
He married firstly Sarah Jane Scott, daughter of Major Sir Walter Scott, 4th Bt, of Beauclerc, on 23 June 1972 (divorced 1987). They had four children and five grand children:
- Lady Eleanor Douglas-Hamilton (born 10 August 1973)
- Lady Ann Douglas-Hamilton (born 14 May 1976)
- Alexander Douglas-Hamilton, 16th Duke of Hamilton (born 31 March 1978)
- Lord John William Douglas-Hamilton (born 2 October 1979)
He married thirdly Kay Carmichael, now the Dowager Duchess of Hamilton, in 1998. No issue. A qualified nurse, she serves as Chairperson of Scottish Staffordshire Bull Terrier Rescue and as a patron of OneKind and Alzheimer's Scotland.
The 15th Duke died on 5 June 2010 at the age of 71.
- "Senior Scottish nobleman the Duke of Hamilton dies". BBC News. 7 June 2010. Retrieved 9 October 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Independent". www.Independent.co.uk. 9 June 2010. Retrieved 19 June 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lyst, Catherine (23 January 2006). "UK | Scotland | A noble fight for animal rights". BBC News. Retrieved 9 October 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- The Peerage, entry for 15th Duke of Hamilton
- HAMILTON, Jill, Duchess of (Jillian V nee ROBERTSON) 1940-2018
- "Kay Hamilton (Duchess of Hamilton)". Linkedin.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Duke of Hamilton
|Peerage of Scotland|
| Duke of Hamilton
|Peerage of Great Britain|
| Duke of Brandon