Ayn Issa (Arabic: عين عيسى) is a town and nahiyah within the Tell Abyad District of Raqqa Governorate in Syria. It is located halfway between the border town Tell Abyad and the regional capital Raqqa.
Town and nahiyah
Ayn Issa nahiya within Raqqa Governorate
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Syrian Civil WarEdit
In June 2015, Ayn Issa was taken over by the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militia, Women's Protection Units (YPJ), and the Raqqa Revolutionaries Brigade in the course of their Tell Abyad offensive. While it was shortly recaptured by Islamic State militants, it was reclaimed by the YPG in early July. On 14 October 2019, the Syrian Arab Army took Ayn Issa after agreement with SDF to prevent the Turkish army offensive.
Ayn Issa Refugee CampEdit
Since April 2016, the Ayn Issa refugee camp has been established on the outskirts of Ayn Issa which housed approximately 9,000 refugees by July 2018, mainly being Syrian Internally Displaced Persons from the Deir-Ez-Zor and Raqqa governorates.
- "2004 Census Data for Ayn Issa nahiyah" (in Arabic). Syrian Central Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original on 8 December 2015. Retrieved 15 October 2015. Also available in English: "2004 Census Data". UN OCHA. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- "Islamic State 'recaptures north Syria town from Kurds'". BBC News. 6 July 2015. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Islamic State conflict: Kurds reclaim Ain Issa in Syria". BBC News. 8 July 2015. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "سوریه ششمین روز حمله نظامی ترکیه به کُردهای سوریه؛ شورشیان تحت حمایت ترکیه وارد تلابیض شدند". Euronews. 14 October 2019. Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- Desk, News (2019-10-15). "Early reports of clashes between Turkish-backed militants and Syrian Army-backed SDF troops in northern Raqqa". AMN – Al-Masdar News | المصدر نيوز. Retrieved 2019-10-15.
- "Camp Profile - Ein Issa, Ar-Raqqa Governorate, Syria - November 2017 - Syrian Arab Republic". ReliefWeb. Retrieved October 13, 2019.
- "ReliefWeb" (PDF). Retrieved October 13, 2019.
|This article about a location in Raqqa Governorate, Syria is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|