Agriculture and Forestry University
The Agriculture and Forestry University (AFU) is a public agricultural university with central offices in Rampur, Chitwan, Nepal. It was created by the Parliament of Nepal through a bill passed in June 2010 merging two constituent campuses of Tribhuvan University: the Rampur Agriculture Campus of the Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science and the Forestry Campus, Hetauda of the Institute of Forestry in Hetauda, Makwanpur. The university offers agricultural workforce development and promotes research in agriculture, forestry, and allied disciplines through teaching, research, and extension programs across the country.
कृषि तथा वन विज्ञान विश्वविद्यालय
Logo Of Agriculture And Forestry University
|Chancellor||Prime Minister of Nepal|
|Vice-Chancellor||Ishwari Prasad Dhakal|
|Dean||Prof. Jay Prakash Dutta- Ag, Prof. Dr. Sharada Thapaliya- Veterinary, Dr. Balaram Bhatta- Forestry|
|Students||56 B.V.Sc. and A.H, 165 B. Sc. Ag., 50 B. Sc. Forestry, 15 B. Sc. Fisheries per batch|
|Campus||Rampur, Chitwan, Hetauda, Makwanpur, Puranchaur, Kaski|
The university offers undergraduate, graduate and PhD programs in agricultural sciences from Faculty of Agriculture(FoA) and Faculty of Animal Sciences, veterinary and Fisheries(FAVF), Rampur and undergraduate program in forestry from Faculty of Forestry(FoF), Hetauda. The FoA and FAVF offers undergraduate degrees including a four-year B.Sc. Ag, five-year B.V.Sc. and A.H, four-year B.Sc Fisheries, two-year Master programs in Agriculture, Animal Science, Veterinary Science and Aquaculture, and Ph.D. programs. In addition to its Bachelor of Forestry degree program, the Faculty of Forestry (FoF) offers a Master of Forestry degree and PhD.
The university has 140 faculty members located in Rampur premises(FoA and FAVF) and 55 at the FoF, Hetauda. The university strength consists of around 1500 undergraduate students, 200 postgraduate students and around 50 Ph.D. scholars in disciplines of agriculture and forestry. The Rampur academic complex extends in an area of 280 hectares (690 acres) and the Hetauda Campus has an area of 95 hectares (230 acres).
The faculty members focus their research work on productivity of agricultural commodities, post-harvest technology, improving the shelf-life of food products, conserving biodiversity, and enhancing livelihood systems and innovation capacities of farming communities. The postgraduate students are contributing thesis research to generate knowledge and technologies to address the issues of agriculture and forestry in the nation.
Agriculture and Forestry University (AFU) was established as a result of a bill enacted by the Nepalese Parliament in June 2010 authorizing the creation of three new universities at campuses owned by Tribhuvan University. The Rampur Agriculture Campus, associated with the Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science, and the Forestry Campus, Hetauda, associated with the Institute of Forestry, were designated as campuses for the new university. As of February 2015, Tribhuvan University has refused to transfer ownership of the campuses to the new university, citing its autonomy from the Nepalese legislature, and the existing Rampur Agriculture Campus has yet to vacate its administrative offices.
Recently, in 2015, the first AFU affiliated college was established in Puranchaur V.D.C. of Kaski district with the name College Of Natural Resource Management. This college is currently operating with Bachelors degree in Agriculture. Total 50 students were enrolled as the first batch of the college.
- Faculty of Agriculture, Rampur, Chitwan
- Faculty of Animal sciences, veterinary and Fisheries , Rampur, Chitwan
- Faculty of Forestry, Hetauda, Makawanpur
- College of Natural Resource Management, Puranchaur, Kaski
- College of Natural Resource Management, kapilakot, Sindhuli
- College of Natural Resource Management, Pakhribas, Dhankuta
- College of Natural Resource Management, Tikapur, Kailali
- College of Natural Resource Management, Bardibas, Mahottari
- College of Natural Resource Management, Katari, Udayapur
The University Complex of AFU and its Central Office, including the offices of the Vice Chancellor and Registrar, are Located at Rampur, Chitwan.
- "PM against providing AFU's land for cricket stadium". The Himalayan Times. 16 September 2018. Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "त्रिवि र कृषि विश्वविद्यालय विवादको स्रोत ऐन". Annapurnapost.com. Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Agriculture and Forestry University halts student admissions in private colleges". The Himalayan Times. 28 November 2018. Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Affiliation to private colleges stopped". The Himalayan Times. 2 August 2018. Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- Thapa, Chitranga; Poudel, Motilal; Khatiwada, Bimal (10 February 2015). "New ones struggle to get by". Kathmandu Post. Retrieved 31 July 2015.