Banke District (Nepali: बाँके जिल्ला [bãke] (listen), a part of Lumbini Province, is one of the 77 districts of Nepal. The district, located in midwestern Nepal with Nepalganj as its district headquarters, covers an area of 2,337 km2 (902 sq mi) and had a population of 385,840 in 2001 and 491,313 in 2011. There are three main cities in the Banke District: Nepalganj, Kohalpur and Khajura Bajaar.
|• Type||Coordination committee|
|• Body||DCC, Banke|
|• Total||2,337 km2 (902 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+05:45 (NPT)|
Geography and ClimateEdit
Banke is bordered on the west by Bardiya district. Rapti zone's Salyan and Dang Deukhuri Districts border to the north and east. To the south lies Uttar Pradesh, India, a country in Asia; specifically Shravasti and Bahraich districts of Awadh. East of Nepalganj the international border follows the southern edge of the Dudhwa Range of the Siwaliks.
Most of the district is drained by the Rapti, except the district's western edge is drained by the Babai. Rapti and Babai cross into Uttar Pradesh, a state in India, Nepal's neighboring country and eventually join the Karnali, whose name has changed to Ghaghara.
|Climate Zone||Elevation Range||% of Area|
|Lower Tropical||below 300 meters (1,000 ft)||79.1%|
|Upper Tropical||300 to 1,000 meters
1,000 to 3,300 ft.
|Subtropical||1,000 to 2,000 meters
3,300 to 6,600 ft.
At the time of the 2011 Nepal census, Banke District had a population of 491,313. Of these, 39.5% spoke Nepali, 23.7% Awadhi, 18.5% Urdu, 14.3% Tharu, 1.0% Maithili, 0.9% Magar and 0.8% Hindi as their first language.
Sub- Metropolitan City, Municipality and Rural MunicipalitiesEdit
There are one Sub-metropolitan city, one Municipality and six Rural Municipalities in Banke District.
- Nepalgunj Sub-Metropolitan City
- Kohalpur Municipality
- Rapti-Sonari Rural Municipality
- Narainapur Rural Municipality
- Duduwa Rural Municipality
- Janaki Rural Municipality
- Khajura Rural Municipality
- Baijanath Rural Municipality
Former VDCs and MunicipalitiesEdit
- Khajura Khurda
- "National Population and Housing Census 2011(National Report)" (PDF). Central Bureau of Statistics. Government of Nepal. November 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-04-18. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Nepal Census 2001". Nepal's Village Development Committees. Digital Himalaya. Archived from the original on 12 October 2008. Retrieved 12 December 2008.
- The Map of Potential Vegetation of Nepal - a forestry/agroecological/biodiversity classification system (PDF), . Forest & Landscape Development and Environment Series 2-2005 and CFC-TIS Document Series No.110., 2005, ISBN 87-7903-210-9, retrieved Nov 22, 2013
- 2011 Nepal Census, Social Characteristics Tables
- "Districts of Nepal". Statoids.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Banke District.|