President of Afghanistan
The president of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is the head of state and head of government of Afghanistan. The incumbent office holder is Ashraf Ghani, However on 9 March 2020, his opponent Abdullah Abdullah inaugurated himself as President, therefore disputing the Presidency.
|President of the|
Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
د افغانستان د اسلامي جمهوریت رئیس نوماند
نامزد رئيس جمهوری اسلامی افغانستان
|Style||The Honourable (Formal) |
His Excellency (Diplomatic)
|Residence||Presidential Citadel, Kabul, Afghanistan|
|Term length||Five years, renewable once|
|Inaugural holder||Mohammed Daoud Khan (Republic)|
Hamid Karzai (Islamic Republic)
|Formation||17 July 1973 (Republic)|
7 December 2004 (Islamic Republic)
|Deputy||Vice President of Afghanistan|
|Salary||960,000 AFN per month|
|Website||Office of the President|
Before the office of the president of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan was created in 2004, Afghanistan has been an Islamic republic between 1973 and 1992 and from 2001 onward. Before 1973, it was a monarchy. Between 1992 and 2001, during the civil war, the country was recognized as the Islamic State of Afghanistan, and later the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan.
Eligibility and selection processEdit
- be a Muslim citizen of Afghanistan, born of Afghan parents;
- not be a citizen of another country;
- be at least forty years old when declaring candidacy;
- not have been convicted of crimes against humanity, a criminal act or deprived of civil rights by court;
- not have previously served more than two terms as President.
The Constitution of Afghanistan grants the president wide powers over military and legislative affairs, with a relatively small national bicameral national assembly, the Wolesi Jirga (House of the People) and Meshrano Jirga (House of Elders). A president can only serve up to two five-year terms. Hamid Karzai started his first five-year term in 2004. After his second term ended in 2014, Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai was chosen as the next president.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2020)
- Wadsam (1 June 2013). "Afghanistan's lower house approves President Karzai's salary and expenses amount".
- "The Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan". Government of Afghanistan. Archived from the original on 5 March 2009. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
"Meshrano Jirga". Government of Afghanistan. Archived from the original on 2009-02-08. Retrieved 2009-07-15.
The Meshrano Jirga of the National Assembly of Afghanistan consists of 102 members. Two-thirds were elected indirectly through Provincial Councils (one-third representing the Provincial Councils and one-third representing the District Councils) and one-third were appointed by the President of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
- Presidency of Afghanistan – The official website of the Office of the President of Afghanistan.