Achayans is a 2017 Indian Malayalam-language comedy thriller film directed by Kannan Thamarakkulam and written by Sethu. Starring Jayaram, Prakash Raj, Unni Mukundan, Sanju Sivram, Adil Ibrahim, Sshivada, Anu Sithara, and Amala Paul. Principal photography began in November 2016, with shooting locations being Edakochi and Vagamon. The film was released in India on 19 May 2017 with mixed reviews & a hit at box office.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Kannan Thamarakkulam|
|Produced by||C. K. Padma Kumar|
|Music by||Ratheesh Vegha|
Gopi Sundar (score)
|Edited by||Rejith K. R.|
|Distributed by||Rejaputhra Release|
This movie was later dubbed into Telugu as Marana Mrudangam.
Four brothers - Roy (Jayaram), Tony (Unni Mukundan), Rafi (Sanju Sivram), and Aby (Adil Ibrahim) - get drunk on the night before Tony's wedding. Their family members send them to a Christian de-addiction centre, but they are kicked out. When they decide to start a road trip, they are accompanied by two women, Reetha (Amala Paul) and Prayaga (Anu Sithara), who have escaped from a critical situation. When they reach a hotel on New Year's Eve 2017, they sleep late after the celebration. On the next day Reetha is found murdered. Finding the culprit and the reason behind her death is the main plot of this movie.
- Jayaram as Roy Thottathil
- Prakash Raj as Commissioner Karthik IPS
- Unni Mukundan as Tony Vavachan
- Sanju Sivram as Rafi
- Adil Ibrahim as Aby
- Amala Paul as Reetha Fernandez
- Anu Sithara as Prayaga
- Akshara Kishor as Young Prayaga
- Sshivada as Jessica
- Siddique as Fernandez, Reetha's father
- Anju Aravind as Aleena, Reetha's mother
- Janardhanan as Varkey Vavachan, Tony's father
- Ponnamma Babu as Aleyamma Vavachan, Tony's mother
- Kumarakam Raghunath as Aravindan, Prayaga's father
- Nitha Promy as Prayaga's mother
- Jayan Cherthala as George, Jessica's father
- Usha as Jessica's mother
- Maniyanpilla Raju as Iqbal
- Kaviyoor Ponnamma as Roy's family member
- Suja Varunee as Panchami
- Idavela Babu as Sugathan
- Dharmajan Bolgatty as Sudharman
- Ramesh Pisharody as Father Jose Keerikkadan
- Kalabhavan Navas as Jose Keerikkadan's assistant
- Saju Navodaya as SI Nalinikanth
- Jayakrishnan as Police Officer
- Sohan Seenulal as Lakshmana
- Thesni Khan as Valsa
- Krishna as Craig
- Sajan Palluruthy as Alcohol Addict
- Jaise Jose as Goon
- P. C. George as Himself (Cameo Appearance)
- Divya Pillai as Geetha
The venture began production in November 2016. Achayans marked third collaboration for the duo after Aadupuliyattam.
Indiaglitz rated 2/5 and said that "Achayans needs to have been reworked in a different way. A more sharper script would have made it more entertaining". Deccan Chronicle stated that the movie is a one time watch and rated 2.5/5. The Times of India rated the movie 2.5/5 and said that "Overall, Achayans is a film that requires some patience to watch and doesn't quite qualify as an entertainer". Though the critic reviews were unfavourable, the film managed to be one of the profitable ventures of 2017. The movie made on a budget of 10cr and collected above 15cr worldwide officially announced.
- Deepika Jayaram (27 January 2017). "'Achayans' starts rolling". Times of India.
- Amala Paul is a trendy biker in Achayans – Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (10 December 2016). Retrieved on 2017-07-01.
- Rafi Muhammed. "The Massive trailer ever in 2017 ! Achayans movie trailer Released". Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Anu Sithara and Sshivada in Achayans". Deccan Chronicles. 17 November 2016.