Innocent Ujah Idibia (born in Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria), known by his stage name 2Baba, is a Nigerian singer, songwriter, record producer and entrepreneur. Prior to July 2014, he went by the stage name 2face Idibia. He is one of the most decorated and successful Afro pop artists in Africa, and is also one of the most bankable performing music artistes in Africa.
2Baba attending the album release party for his sixth studio album, The Ascension.
|Birth name||Innocent Ujah Idibia|
|Also known as||2face Idibia 1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Born||18 September 1975|
shomolu, lagos, Nigeria
Annie Macaulay (m. 2012)
Innocent Idibia was born in Jos, Nigeria . He is from the Idoma ethnic group in the southern part of Benue State, in central Nigeria. He attended Mount Saint Gabriel's Secondary School in Makurdi, Benue State. He enrolled at Institute of Management & Technology, Enugu (IMT), where he did his preliminary National Diploma course in business administration and management. While attending IMT, he performed at school organised shows and parties, as well as other regional schools such as the University of Nigeria and Enugu State University of Science & Technology. He eventually dropped out to pursue his music career. While attending IMT, 2face Idibia started composing and singing jingles at the GB Fan Club at Enugu State Broadcasting Services (ESBS) in 1996.
Also in 1996, he adopted the stage name "2Face" (Tuface). He cited the reason as "trying to demarcate my personal life with my business life.
In Plantashun BoizEdit
He moved to Lagos and started performing with rapper Blackface Naija. He had met BlackFace while attending IMT. With Blackface (Ahmedu Augustine Obiabo) and with musician Faze (Chibuzor Oji), he went on to form the trio band Plantashun Boiz.
Plantashun Boiz released two successful albums: Body and Soul (2000) and Sold Out (2003)under the Nelson Brown's owned Label (Dove Records) before disbanding in 2004. Relations were marred for many years during which the band broke up and its members started their solo careers. Long after the break-up known as the "Faze vs Tuface" beef, the band came back together in 2007 for the purpose of recording a third and final album entitled Plan B (2007).
After the disbandment of Plantashun Boyz in 2004, all band members sought separate musical careers. 2Baba released his debut solo album Face 2 Face (2004), which established him as a viable solo artist.
Following the release of his debut album, he released his second album Grass 2 Grace in 2006, which contained hits "One Love", "True Love, "4 Instance". He is the founder of Hypertek Entertainment.
He released a experimental album in 2009 called The Unstoppable releasing the single "Enter the Place". Problems with album distribution in 2007 caused as shift of the release date of the album from 2008 to early 2009. In 2010, 2Baba released an "International Edition" of the same under the title The Unstoppable International Edition making him the first Nigerian artist to have an appropriately priced international album. 2face released two more singles from the international version of his The Unstoppable album. The international edition of the album won two awards at the 2010 SoundCity Music Video Awards. He also won the Channel O Music Video Awards Best African Western award and the MTV Africa Music Awards for Best Male and Artist of the year.
Upon leaving the music label Kennis Music after the release of his second solo album, he set up his own record label known as Hypertek Entertainment. He is part of the Sony All African One8 Project alongside seven other musicians across Africa recording a single with R. Kelly and Prince Lee titled "Hands Across the World". He is the first non-Liberian to become an honorary member of the Liberian music society in recognition for his outstanding contribution to the growth of music in Africa. He has been named Red cross ambassador society of Nigeria. 2Baba has several collaborations all over the globe, giving his collaborators the opportunity to win an awards for each duet such as street credibility by 9ice, possibility by p-square and lots more. He is adored by his colleagues and every entertainer in Nigeria music industry as a role model. 2Baba and heavy weight American Rapper Jay Z met in NYC 2014.
2Baba has also been an ambassador for quite a number of brands including Guinness, Nigerian Breweries etc. He is also the brand ambassador for National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control.
FORTYfied All-Star Tribute ConcertEdit
The FORTYfied All-Star Tribute Concert, stylised as #FORTYfied, was an all-star tribute concert organised by 2Baba to celebrate his 40th birthday and influence in the music of Nigeria. Hosted by Basketmouth, the STAR Lager Beer-sponsored concert was held on 20 September 2015 at the Eko Hotel and Suites Convention Centre. The concert was attended by dignitaries and featured performances from notable musicians including Wizkid, Burna Boy, Timaya, D'banj, Sound Sultan, Patoranking, Vector tha Viper, Wande Coal and Seyi Shay.
He is also the owner of the Buckwyld and Breathless concert
Personal life and marriageEdit
2Baba is married to Nigerian award-winning actress, movie producer, model and serial entrepreneur Annie Macaulay - Idibia. On 2 May 2012, 2Baba and Annie Macaulay married in Lagos, Nigeria in a private ceremony. A civil ceremony also held in Dubai, UAE on March 23, 2013 and had a high attendance of celebrities.
The celebrity couple are parents to 2 girls; Olivia Idibia and Isabella Idibia. 2Baba is father to 7 kids; 5 kids from 2 previous relationships.
2Baba has established an NGO called The 2Baba Foundation. whose motto is "service to humanity". Formerly known as The 2Face Reachout Foundation, and eventually The 2Face Foundation, the foundation underwent a name change in September 2016, and is now known as The 2Baba Foundation. The foundation's work is centred around nation building, peaceful co-existence, and accountability in governance.
In 2009, 2Baba was appointed as ambassador by National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control. He released a song "Man Unkind" to raise awareness on the menace of fake and sub-standard food and drug products in Nigeria. In 2009, he was presented with the prestigious International Youth Ambassador for Peace Summit and the Nigeria Youth Merit Award by the National Youth Council of Nigeria in recognition of his contributions to youth development in Nigeria.
In January 2017, 2Baba announced a partnership with United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). He made an initial donation of over US$11,000 to UNHCR for IDPs and returnees. In June 2017, he released a dedicated IDP-awareness song titled Hold My Hand to mark the World Refugee Day, and promised 60 percent of the proceeds from the song to the IDP cause. He has also collaborated with other NGOs like The Nigerian RedCross Society, Enough is Enough (EiE)(Office of the Citizen campaign), Youngstars Foundation and National Democratic Institute (for Vote Not Fight campaign).
With 8 successful studio albums and several single tracks and features, 2Baba's music catalog is an enviable one.
- 2004: Face 2 Face
- 2006: Grass 2 Grace
- 2009: The Unstoppable
- 2010: The Unstoppable International Edition
- 2012: Away & Beyond
- 2014: The Ascension
- 2014: Face 2 Face 10.0
- 2015: Rewind.Select.Update
- Man Unkind
- It’s In There ft. Ishmeal
- Celebration (Naija @ 50) – ft. King David
- Play Your Part – 2face ft. Sanni Danja and Eve B.
- Break The Silence
- Vote Not Fight
- Coded Tinz – ft Phyno & Chief Obi.
- Officially Blind
- Oya Come Make We Go
- Babylon ft MI
- Mr Senator
- Officially Blind Remix
- Hold My Hand
- Unconditional Love
- In Love And Ashes
- Holy Holy
- Gaga Shuffle
- Amaka ft Peruzzi
- Oyi ft HI Idibia
Innocent '2Baba' Idibia is Africa's most decorated and awarded artistes. 2Baba has received one MTV Europe Music Award, one World Music Award, five Headies Awards (Hip-hop award), four Channel O Music Video Awards and one BET award for his musical work, four MTV Africa Music Awards, one MOBO award, one KORA award, 3 Afrima Awards, and numerous additional nominations.
In March 2019, he was awarded a fellow of the school of music by the Music Department, Obafemi Awolowo University.This made him the pioneer recipient of the award which was presented to him at the first public lecture and fellowship award, held on the 20th of March 2019.
In August 2019, 2Face was appointed as the Good cause Ambassador for the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE).
- Njoku, Benjamin (27 July 2014). "2face changes name to 'Tu-baba'". Vanguard. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- "Know Your Naija: 10 Nigerian Stars To Watch". MTV Iggy.
- "Is 2baba the greatest Nigerian artist ever?". Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "#20YearsAKing: 2Baba Celebrates Two Decades of Dominance". Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "NOTEWORTHY STATS". Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "2Face donates N3.5 million to help persons displaced by Boko Haram". Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "2baba pledges to donate song proceeds to IDPs". Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "Rise and Rise of Tu-Face". newswatchngr.com. 9 January 2006. Archived from the original on 15 July 2012. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "2Face Idibia Live in London". Retrieved 11 March 2012 – via YouTube.
- "Innocent Ujah Idibia (2Face)". Idomalang.org. Retrieved 11 March 2012.
- Editor. "2face Idibia working with Nelson Brown on upcoming album". Nigerian Entertainment Today – Nigeria's Number 1 Entertainment Daily. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "Phat Girlz soundtrack". Soundtrackinfo.com. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- "TuFace Checks Piracy With Classy Album Price". tribune.com.ng. Archived from the original on 22 March 2013. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "2Face Idibia's BET International "Welcome to America" Interview". Bellanaija.com. 27 April 2011. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "Soundcity Music Video Awards 2010 – The Winner's Circle". thenetng.com. 22 November 2010. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Fally Ipupa & Tuface Idibia lead MTV Africa Music Awards winners 2010". museke.com. 12 December 2010. Archived from the original on 23 August 2011. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "Tuface Idibia opens up on why he left Kennis music". Nigerianewsdaily.com. 28 October 2011. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Hands Across The World Video – ONE8 with R. Kelly". Rnbmusicblog.com. 19 November 2010. Archived from the original on 16 June 2012. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- Nonye Ben-Nwankwo. "Endorsement deals: New income source for celebrities". Archived from the original on 10 December 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "2Face Idibia Nicks Deals With NB Plc – P.M. NEWS Nigeria". 23 November 2011. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "STAR CELEBRATES 2FACE AT 40". The Nation. 18 September 2015. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "STAR to Celebrate 2Face at 40 With All-Star Tribute Concert". Vanguard. 17 September 2015. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- Joey Akan (8 September 2015). "Singer announces concert to mark 40th birthday". Pulse Nigeria. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Why I started Buckwyld & Breathless concert – 2face Idibia – Vanguard News". Vanguard News. 24 September 2017. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "2face Idibia and Annie Macaulay wed secretly". thenetng.com. 4 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "Annie, anointed queen of a shooting star". punchng.com. 17 February 2012. Archived from the original on 29 February 2012. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "The Venues: Tuface Idibia and Annie Macaulay's Dubai Wedding". 23 March 2013.
- "10 cutest couple moments of singer and wife as they mark 3rd wedding anniversary". 23 March 2016.
- "2face Idibia at 40: Meet the 7 Children of 2face". 25 September 2015.
- "Tuface Idibia recuperating and fine". nigeriavillagesquare.com. 9 October 2007. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "'2Face' Idibia: Message behind the music". CNN. 29 November 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "NAFDAC appoints 2face Ambassador". vanguardngr.com. 18 September 2009. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "2Face Idibia and NAFDAC tackle fake and sub-standard food and drug products in Nigeria with "Man Unkind"". Bellanaija.com. 11 April 2011. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Human capital". Nigeriafirst.org. 16 April 2009. Archived from the original on 28 March 2013. Retrieved 11 March 2012.
- "Singer launches "Vote Not Fight" campaign in Anambra". 14 September 2017.
- "5TH AFRIMA WINNERS". Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "2Baba is Getting Honoured with a Doctorate Degree from Igbinedion University". Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "2face bags Masters Degree". Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- Okonofua, Odion (21 March 2019). "2Face Idibia receives award of Fellow of the School of Music at Obafemi Awolowo University". pulse.ng. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- Famuyiwa, Damilare (7 August 2019). "NSE appoints 2face as its 'Good Cause Ambassador'". Nairametrics. Retrieved 9 August 2019.