2028 (MMXXVIII) will be a leap year starting on Saturday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2028th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 28th year of the 3rd millennium and the 21st century, and the 9th year of the 2020s decade.
Predicted and scheduled eventsEdit
- January 1 – Books, films, and other works published in 1932 will enter the public domain in the United States.
- January 12 – Partial lunar eclipse.
- January 26 – Small annular solar eclipse.
- July 11 – If still extant, the French Fifth Republic will become the longest-lasting republican government (overtaking the Third Republic) and the second-longest-lasting regime overall (after the Ancien Régime) in the history of France.
- July 14 – July 30 – The 2028 Summer Olympics will be held in Los Angeles, California, US.
- July 22 – A total solar eclipse will be visible across Australia, including Sydney, and New Zealand.
- August 15 – August 27 – The 2028 Summer Paralympics will be held in Los Angeles, California, US.
- October 26 – Asteroid (35396) 1997 XF11 will pass 930,000 km (0.0062 AU) from the Earth.
- November 7 – The 2028 United States presidential election will be held.
- December 31 – The Santa Monica Airport in Santa Monica, California will permanently close.
- The Atmospheric Remote-sensing Infrared Exoplanet Large-survey (ARIEL), led by the UK, will study the atmospheres of exoplanets.
- Planned launch of the Comet Interceptor.
- The Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link between Denmark and Germany is expected to be completed.
- End of the replacement of A-10 Thunderbolt and F-16 Fighting Falcon fleets with F-35 Lightning II.
- The African Monetary Union is scheduled to be established, bringing a common currency to the members of the African Union.
- Lease on the Moldauhafen port lot in Hamburg, Germany, to the Czech Republic is set to expire.
- Wharton, David (July 31, 2017). "Los Angeles makes deal to host 2028 Summer Olympics". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 31, 2017.
- "Your guide to future total solar eclipses". The Planetary Society. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "When is Election Day in 2028?". When-Is.com.
- "UK will lead European exoplanet mission". BBC News. March 20, 2018. Retrieved March 21, 2018.