2016 UCI Road World Championships – Men's team time trial
The Men's team time trial of the 2016 UCI Road World Championships was a cycling event that took place on 9 October 2016 in Doha, Qatar. It was the 32nd edition of the championship, and the 5th since its reintroduction for trade teams in 2012. American team BMC Racing Team were the defending champions, having won in 2014 and 2015.
|2016 UCI Road World Championships|
|Dates||9 October 2016|
|Distance||40 km (24.85 mi)|
|Winning time||42' 32.39"|
BMC Racing Team were unable to defend their title, as Etixx–Quick-Step – who won the world title as Omega Pharma–Quick-Step in 2012 and 2013 – regained the world title by 11.69 seconds. After missing the medals in 2015, Orica–BikeExchange finished up with the bronze medal, 25.43 seconds behind BMC Racing Team and 37.12 seconds in arrears of Etixx–Quick-Step.
UCI WorldTour teams boycott of team time trialEdit
In August 2016 the AIGCP approved a motion for all UCI WorldTeams to boycott the time trial event, due to the UCI insisting that WorldTeams should compete in the event as a requirement of granting a WorldTeam licence without providing a participation allowance to teams, as is the case with other UCI World Tour races. It was reported that the UCI Professional Continental teams attending the AIGCP General Assembly also supported the motion.
On 13 September, the UCI released a statement, saying that the UCI and the AIGCP had agreed on a number of adjustments to the format, ensuring the participation of at least a number of UCI WorldTeams. Both organisations have agreed on a non-compulsory format, with no UCI WorldTour points to be awarded. Following this agreement, a number of UCI WorldTeams have announced their participation.
- "Final Results / Résultats finaux: Men's Team Time Trial / Contre-la-montre par équipes Hommes" (PDF). Sport Result. Tissot Timing. 9 October 2016. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Quick-Step reclaims TTT crown". VeloNews. Competitor Group, Inc. 9 October 2016. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- Clarke, Stuart (9 October 2016). "Etixx-Quick Step regain World Championships team time trial title". Cycling Weekly. Time Inc. UK. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "UCI World Championships: Etixx beat BMC to win TTT title". Cyclingnews.com. Immediate Media Company. 9 October 2016. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "WorldTour teams set to boycott 2016 World Championships team time trial | Cyclingnews.com". cyclingnews.com. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
- "2016 UCI Road World Championships Men's Team Time Trial to include UCI WorldTeams". uci.ch. Retrieved 15 September 2016.