2015 UCI Road World Championships – Men's team time trial
The Men's team time trial of the 2015 UCI Road World Championships was a cycling event that took place on September 20, 2015 in Richmond, Virginia, United States. It was the 31st edition of the championship, and the 4th since its reintroduction in 2012. American team BMC Racing Team were the defending champions, having won in 2014.
|2015 UCI Road World Championships|
BMC riding to victory
|Dates||September 20, 2015|
|Distance||38.6 km (23.98 mi)|
|Winning time||42' 07.97"|
As they did in 2014, BMC Racing Team won the title ahead of Etixx–Quick-Step by a margin of 11.35 seconds, with the Movistar Team completing the podium, 30.11 seconds down on the winning time.
The course rolled off from Henrico County at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, originally the Lakeside Wheel Club, founded in 1895 as a gathering spot for turn-of-the-century cyclists. The opening kilometers raced through Richmond's historic Northside neighborhoods leading into downtown. The course continued east of Richmond down rural Route 5, which parallels the 50-mile Virginia Capital Trail. The first few kilometers were scenic, flat, open roads that eventually narrowed and went through Richmond National Battlefield Park, a historic Civil War site. The race re-entered the city through Shockoe Bottom, eventually making a hard right turn on Governor Street to ascend 300 meters (980 feet). At the top, the teams had to take a sharp left turn onto the false-flat finishing straight, 680 meters (2,230 feet) to the finish.
It was an obligation for all 2015 UCI ProTeams to participate. As well as this, invitations were sent to the 20 leading teams of the 2015 UCI Europe Tour, the top 5 leading teams of the 2015 UCI America Tour and 2015 UCI Asia Tour and the leading teams of the 2015 UCI Africa Tour and 2015 UCI Oceania Tour on August 15, 2015. Teams that accepted the invitation within the deadline had the right to participate. Every participating team were allowed to register nine riders from its team roster, with the exception of stagiaires, and had to select six riders to compete in the event.
|September 20, 2015||13:30–15:30||Men's team time trial|
BMC Racing won the event, beating Etixx-Quick Step by more than 11 seconds. Tinkoff-Saxo finished last, more than 8 minutes behind the race winners, after Michael Valgren and Michael Rogers touched wheels and crashed.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2015 UCI Road World Championships – Men's team time trial.|
- "Results / Résultats: Men's Team Time Trial / Contre-la-montre par équipes Hommes" (PDF). Sport Result. Tissot Timing. September 20, 2015. Retrieved September 20, 2015.
- Clarke, Stuart (September 20, 2015). "BMC retain Worlds team time trial title ahead of Etixx-Quick Step". Cycling Weekly. Time Inc. UK. Retrieved September 20, 2015.
- "BMC thunders to victory in world TTT championship". VeloNews. Competitor Group, Inc. September 20, 2015. Retrieved September 20, 2015.
- "Qualification" (PDF). Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- "UCI Road World Championships". UCI. Retrieved September 20, 2015.
- "Race Schedule". Archived from the original on August 23, 2015. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- "Tinkoff Saxo see Worlds TTT chances ended by heavy crash". Cycling News. Retrieved 21 September 2015.