2013 UCI Road World Championships – Men's road race
|2013 UCI Road World Championships|
|Dates||29 September 2013|
|Distance||272.26 km (169.2 mi)|
|Winning time||7h 25' 44"|
The course of the race was 272.26 km (169.17 mi) from the town of Lucca to the Nelson Mandela Forum in Florence. As in previous years, the race was the final event of the Road World Championships. The race was won by Rui Costa who beat Joaquim Rodríguez in a sprint finish, with a total time of 7h 25min 44s, the second highest time in UCI Road World Championships history.
The race started in Lucca and ended in the Nelson Mandela Forum in Florence. The early part of the route was identified as particularly difficult, with climbs up the Montecatini Alto at 30 km (19 mi) and the San Baronto at 66 km (41 mi). The final run-in of the race around Florence was also hilly, with the ride up to Fiesole and the via Bolognese in Florence being particularly steep. This run-in was similar to that of stage 9 of the 2013 Giro d'Italia.
Qualification was based on performances on the UCI run tours during 2013. Results from January to the middle of August would count towards the qualification criteria on both the 2013 UCI World Tour and the UCI Continental Circuits across the world, with the rankings being determined upon the release of the numerous tour rankings on 15 August 2013.
|29 September 2013||10:00–16:45||Men's road race|
|29 September 2013||17:05||Victory ceremony|
Of the race's 208 entrants, 61 riders completed the full distance of 272.26 km (169.17 mi).
Riders who failed to finishEdit
147 riders failed to finish the race.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2013 UCI Road World Championships – Men's road race.|
- "Final Results / Résultats finaux: Road Race Men Elite / Course en ligne hommes élite" (PDF). Sport Result. Tissot Timing. 29 September 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-10-25. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Sunday 29 September". UCI. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Tuscany 2013 world championship routes unveiled". Cycling News. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Rui Costa edges Joaquim Rodríguez to win men's road race in Florence". Daily Telegraph. 29 September 2013. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "Rui Costa wins men's road race world championship". Cycling News. 29 September 2013. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "World road championship on the routes of Bartali". Florence Daily News. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Road Race Elite Men". UCI. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- Wilkins, Jamie. "Giro d'Italia Stage 9 Preview". Cycling News. Archived from the original on 25 June 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "QUALIFICATION SYSTEM FOR THE 2013 UCI ROAD WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS MEN ELITE ROAD RACE". UCI. Archived from the original on 28 September 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Competitions guide" (PDF). UCI. Retrieved 21 August 2013.[permanent dead link]