2001 National Games of China
The Guangdong Olympic Stadium was the main venue for the games and hosted the opening and closing ceremonies
|Host city||Guangzhou, Guangdong|
|Opening ceremony||11 November 2001|
|Closing ceremony||25 November 2001|
|Officially opened by||Jiang Zemin (President)|
|Main venue||Guangdong Olympic Stadium|
The main stadium for the games was the Guangdong Olympic Stadium. A total of 345 events were contested in 30 sports – 27 were summer sports and the remaining three were skating winter sports. The games featured 8608 athletes from 45 delegations, including the various Chinese provinces and regions as well as occupational divisions (e.g. People's Liberation Army, China Railway Corporation). The President of China Jiang Zemin officially opened the games at the opening ceremony.
The ninth national games were hosted soon after Beijing had been successful in its host bid for the 2008 Summer Olympics. As a result, many prominent international guests were invited to the games in Guangzhou, including IOC president Jacques Rogge. The international dimension of the games was increased in comparison to previous years as many of the delegations had appointed foreign-born coaches and foreign referees were invited to the event to improve impartiality judge-based sports. High performances levels were achieved in a number of sports: seven women's weightlifting world records were broken, six Asian records were beaten in swimming, cycling and athletics, and a total of 37 Chinese national records were set during the 15-day competition.
- People's Liberation Army
- Inner Mongolia
- Hong Kong
- Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps
- China Railway Corporation
- China Finance
- China Coal
- China Resources Vanguard Shop
- Sino-Forest Corporation
- China Petrochemical Corporation
- Aviation Industry Corporation of China
- China Construction
- China Water Sports Association
- China Electricity
There were a total of 30 sports at the 9th National Games.
|3||People's Liberation Army||33||26||28||87|
|Totals (37 delegations)||411.5||398||405||1214.5|
- Medal table
- 广东代表团成为新霸主--第九届全国运动会最终奖牌榜 (Ninth National Games Final Medal Table) (in Chinese). Sohu Sports. Retrieved on 2013-03-27.
- 第9届全国运动会各项比赛前三名 (9th National Games Medalists). jx918. Retrieved on 2013-03-27.
- Official website (archived)
- 9th National Games results (partially archived)
- Moments at the Games from People Daily
- Academic study of impact of Games on physical culture in China