1992 in LGBT rights
This is a list of notable events in the history of LGBT rights that took place in the year 1992.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to LGBT history in 1992.|
- The World Health Organization declassifies homosexuality as a mental illness in the latest edition of its list of diseases and health problems, the ICD-10.
- U.S. state of California bans sexual orientation discrimination in the private sector.
- U.S. states of Vermont and New Jersey ban sexual orientation discrimination in the private sector.
- U.S. state of Oregon's Measure 8, approved in a referendum in 1988, is ruled unconstitutional by the Oregon Court of Appeals in the case known as Merrick v. Board of Higher Education, meaning that the 1987 executive order banning public-sector sexual orientation stands.
- The City Council of Phoenix, Arizona, prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation in the private sector.
- San Mateo County, California, bans employment discrimination based on sexual orientation in the private sector.
- The Lesbian Avengers, a direct action group, is founded in New York City by activists from the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP).
- 24 — The Kentucky Supreme Court issues its holding in Kentucky v. Wasson, invalidating the state's sodomy law as unconstitutional.
- 27 — The Federal Court of Canada orders the Canadian military to stop discriminating against gays.
- Voters in the U.S. state of Colorado approve Amendment 2 by 53 percent. The amendment, later the subject of Romer v. Evans, prohibited sexual orientation discrimination bans in Colorado. The amendment would never go into effect as it is soon challenged in court.
- Oregon Ballot Measure 9 is defeated in a referendum. The measure would have prohibited sexual orientation discrimination bans in Oregon.
- 5 — A clause prohibiting anti-gay verbal abuse in schools is repealed by the Fairfax County, Virginia board of education out of concerns that it promotes homosexuality.
- The National Journal of Sexual Orientation Law
- Current Issues
- Gay and Lesbian Rights - Backlash
- ""Abnormal, Wrong, Unnatural and Perverse:" Taking the Measure (9) of the Closet". Archived from the original on 2006-10-12. Retrieved 2007-06-12.