1985 Australian Open
The 1985 Australian Open was a tennis tournament played on grass courts at the Kooyong Stadium in Melbourne in Victoria in Australia. It was the 74th edition of the Australian Open and was held from 25 November through 8 December 1985; the last to be held at this time of year.
|1985 Australian Open|
|Date||25 November – 8 December|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Venue||Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club|
|Paul Annacone / Christo van Rensburg|
|Martina Navratilova / Pam Shriver|
|Brett Custer / David Macpherson|
|Jenny Byrne / Janine Thompson|
With the decision to hold the tournament in January in future, the next Australian Open would be the 1987 Open, held just over a year later.
- • It was Edberg's 1st career Grand Slam singles title.
- • It was Navratilova's 13th career Grand Slam singles title and her 3rd and last title at the Australian Open.
- • It was Annacone's 1st and only career Grand Slam doubles title.
- • It was van Rensburg's 1st and only career Grand Slam doubles title.
- It was Navratilova's 37th career Grand Slam title and her 8th Australian Open title. It was Shriver's 12th career Grand Slam title and her 4th Australian Open title.
- The competition was not held between 1970 and 1985.
1986 Australian OpenEdit
The Australian Open was not held in 1986 due to the Open changing dates from December to January. This allowed it to count as a Grand Prix event after the movement of the Grand Prix Masters from March to early December. As such, the next Australian Open was the 1987 Australian Open.
1985 US Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by|
1986 French Open