1969 PGA Tour
The 1969 PGA Tour season was played from January 9 to December 7. The season consisted of 50 official money events. Billy Casper, Raymond Floyd, Dave Hill, and Jack Nicklaus won the most tournaments, three each, and there were 14 first-time winners. Frank Beard was the leading money winner with earnings of $164,707. Orville Moody was voted the PGA Player of the Year and Dave Hill won the Vardon Trophy for the lowest scoring average.
This is generally regarded as the first season of an independent PGA Tour. The tour began to break off from the PGA of America in August 1968. The players formed a Tournament Players Division within the PGA of America, "a freestanding corporation run by a 10-member tournament policy board of four players, three PGA executives and three consulting businessmen."
The following table shows all the official money events for the 1969 season. "Date" is the ending date of the tournament. The numbers in parentheses after the winners' names are the number of wins they had on the tour up to and including that event. Majors are shown in bold.
|1||Frank Beard||United States||175,223|
|2||Dave Hill||United States||156,432|
|3||Jack Nicklaus||United States||140,167|
|4||Gary Player||South Africa||123,897|
|6||Gene Littler||United States||112,737|
|7||Lee Trevino||United States||112,417|
|8||Raymond Floyd||United States||109,956|
|9||Arnold Palmer||United States||105,128|
|10||Billy Casper||United States||104,689|
|Money winner||Frank Beard||United States|
|PGA Player of the Year||Orville Moody||United States|
|Scoring leader (Vardon Trophy)||Dave Hill||United States|
- "Golfer of the year". The Southeast Missourian. Cape Girardeau, Missouri. AP. November 19, 1969. p. 13. Retrieved March 20, 2013.
- "Pro golf struggle is settled; PGA forms tourney group". Milwaukee Journal. December 14, 1968. p. 18.
- Gorant, Jim (August 8, 2018). "War for the Tour: The day the PGA Championship nearly died". Golf.com.
- "Aaron Captures Canadian Open". Nashua Telegraph. New Hampshire. AP. July 29, 1969. p. 10.
- Tourney was added to schedule after Kaiser tourney in January was rain-shortened to 36 holes causing only half the prize money to be paid out.
- "1969 winners sorted by age". PGA Tour. July 9, 2008. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- Johnson, Sal; Seanor, Dave, eds. (2009). The USA Today Golfers Encyclopedia. New York, New York: Skyhorse Publishing. pp. 675–82. ISBN 978-1-60239-302-8.
- Rew, Karen (December 26, 1969). "Frank Beard Boosting Business of Pro Golf". Mansfield News Journal. Mansfield, Ohio. AP. p. 23.