Events from the year 1953 in South Korea.
|See also:||Other events of 1953|
Years in South Korea
Timeline of Korean history
1953 in North Korea
- 9 January – According to South Korea's Coast Guard official confirmed report, a passenger ferry Changgyeong-ho capsized off the coast of Busan, and 229 persons perished.
- 1 August – Cheil Jedang (now CJ CheilJedang), a food manufacturer, was founded.
- The Korea Herald newspaper was founded.
- 1 October – The Mutual Defense Treaty (United States–South Korea) was signed,
- 18 January - Chon Song-Cha.
- 22 January - Myung-whun Chung, Korean conductor and pianist
- 24 January - Moon Jae-in.
- 29 January - Hwang Woo-suk.
- 25 February -Kim Yeong-cheol, South Korean actor
- 10 March - Cho Hun-hyun. Go (game) player.
- 5 April - Tae Jin-ah, South Korean singer
- 22 May - Cha Bum-kun.
- 28 May - Moon Sung-keun, Korean actor
- 27 July - Chung Dong-young, Korean politician
- 18 August - Bae Cheol-soo, Korean musician and radio host
- 28 October - Park Yeong-gyu, Korean actor
- 13 December - Dokgo Young-jae, Korean actor
- 17 April - Yi Si-yeong, Korean independence activist