The year 1940 in architecture involved some significant architectural events and new buildings.
Buildings and structuresEdit
- Igreja Nossa Senhora do Brasil in São Paulo, Brazil.
- St. Mark's Church, Belgrade, Serbia.
- Church of St. Michael, Črna Vas, Slovenia, designed by Jože Plečnik.
- Timișoara Orthodox Cathedral, Timişoara, Romania.
- Grundtvig's Church, Bispebjerg, Copenhagen, Denmark, designed by Peder Vilhelm Jensen-Klint (d.1930) in 1913 and completed by his son Kaare Klint.
- Raleigh Hotel in Miami Beach, Florida, United States, designed by Lawrence Murray Dixon.
- Replacement Llao Llao Hotel at San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina, designed by Alejandro Bustillo.
- Civic Centre of San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina, designed by Ernesto de Estrada.
- New Bodleian Library in the University of Oxford, England, designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.
- Atatürk Bridge, Istanbul, Turkey (the fourth bridge on this site).
- Eastern Michigan Motorbus Terminal in Ann Arbor, United States, designed by Banfield and Cumming with Douglas Loree.
- Detroit Arsenal (Warren, Michigan) Tank Plant, designed by Albert Kahn.
- Walton Yacht Works at Walton on Thames, England, designed by Jane Drew.
- No. 4 Boathouse at HMNB Portsmouth, England, designed by E. A. Scott.