Exploration and geographyEdit
- January 17 – Florentine explorer Giovanni da Verrazzano, on board La Dauphine in the service of Francis I of France, sets out from Madeira for the New World to seek out a westabout sea route to the Pacific Ocean.
- March 1 (approximate date) – da Verrazzano's expedition makes landfall at Cape Fear.
- April 17 – da Verrazzano's expedition makes the first European entry into New York Bay.
- July 8 – da Verrazzano's expedition returns to Dieppe.
- Petrus Apianus publishes Cosmographicus liber in Landshut, a popular textbook on navigation.
- Adam Ries publishes his algebraic text Coß.