|• Total||8,236.54 km2 (3,180.15 sq mi)|
|• Land||7,199.45 km2 (2,779.72 sq mi)|
|• Water||1,037.09 km2 (400.42 sq mi)|
|Area as of 1 January 2014.|
(31 December 2019)
|• Density||1.4/km2 (3.7/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
The present municipality was formed in 1974 through the amalgamation of "old" Åre Municipality with the surrounding municipalities Hallen, Kall, Mörsil and Undersåker. The largest village, Järpen, situated in Undersåker, was chosen as the seat of the new entity.
The municipal seat in bold
- Henrik Lundqvist – goalkeeper for the New York Rangers (NHL), former goalkeeper for the Frölunda Indians (SHL), gold medalist in the Winter Olympics in 2006. Born in Åre, though he moved to Båstad to support his sister's tennis career. He is twins with Joel Lundqvist.
- Joel Lundqvist – center for the Frölunda Indians (SHL), former center for the Dallas Stars (NHL), 2 time world champion. Born in Åre, though he moved to Båstad to support his sister's tennis career. He is twins with Henrik Lundqvist.
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 2014-01-01. Archived from the original (Microsoft Excel) on 2016-09-27. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2019" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 20, 2020. Retrieved February 20, 2020.
- Statistics Sweden as of December 31, 2005
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Åre Municipality.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Åre.|
- Åre Municipality - Official site
- VisitAre.com - Tourism site
- Åre Bike Park - Official site
- Åre Bike Festival - Official site
- www.are-sweden.com - Information on Are Ski resort