This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)
|• Mayor (2015–22)||Arne Sigmund (Ind.)|
|• Total||22.88 km2 (8.83 sq mi)|
|Elevation||350 m (1,150 ft)|
|• Density||390/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
09405, 09434 (Krumhermersdorf)
|Vehicle registration||ERZ, ANA, ASZ, AU, MAB, MEK, STL, SZB, ZP|
The town is located on the northwestern slopes of the Ore Mountains, on both banks of the Zschopau River, about 9 miles (14 km) south-east from Chemnitz. The highest point is Mt. Pilzhübel with an elevation of 597.8 m (1,961 ft). The municipal area comprises the village of Krumhermersdorf, incorporated in 1999. Since German reunification, Zschopau has lost about one fourth of its population.
Zschopau has a handsome parish church dedicated to St Martin, a town hall and a castle (Schloss Wildeck), whose construction started in the twelfth century.
- Heinz Auerswald (1891-1974), painter not to be confused with Heinz Auerswald German lawyer, Nazi party, 1908 - 1970
- Marcus Burghardt (born 1983), bicycle racer
- Ulf Findeisen (born 1962), ski jumper
- David Füleki (born 1985), comic artist and non-fiction author
- Rebekka Haase (born 1993), athlete (sprinter)
- Axel Jungk (born 1991), skeleton racer
- Walter Kaaden (1919–1996), engineer
- Karl Kröner (1887–1972), painter
Personalities who have worked on the groundEdit
- Carl Hahn (1894-1961), German-Austrian automobile builder and entrepreneur, father of VW manager Carl Hahn
- Walter Kaaden (1919-1996), engineer
- Christian Liebe (1654-1708), composer
- Jørgen Skafte Rasmussen (1878-1964), Danish engineer and industrialist
- Hermann Weber (1896-1948), Constructor
- Valentin Weigel (1533-1588), mystical theosophical writer, priest and natural philosopher
- Clara Zetkin (1857-1933), socialist politician and women's rights activist
- Bürgermeisterwahlen 2015, Freistaat Sachsen, accessed 12 July 2021.
- "Bevölkerung des Freistaates Sachsen nach Gemeinden am 31. Dezember 2020". Statistisches Landesamt des Freistaates Sachsen (in German). June 2021.
- Zschopau in the Digital Historic Index of Places in Saxony (Digitales Historisches Ortsverzeichnis von Sachsen)
- Ganshäuser in the Digital Historic Index of Places in Saxony (Digitales Historisches Ortsverzeichnis von Sachsen)
- Wilischthal in the Digital Historic Index of Places in Saxony (Digitales Historisches Ortsverzeichnis von Sachsen)
Media related to Zschopau, Germany at Wikimedia Commons