Yashwant Rao Holkar II
Maharajadhiraj Raj Rajeshwar Sawai Shri Sir Yeshwant Rao II Holkar XIV Bahadur  (6 September 1908 – 5 December 1961) was the Maharaja of Indore (Holkar State) belonging to the Holkar dynasty of the Marathas.
|Yeshwant Rao Holkar II|
HH Yeshwant Rao Holkar II
|Maharaja Holkar of Indore|
|Reign||26 February 1926 – 28 May 1948|
|Coronation||11 March 1926, Juna Rajwada Palace, Indore|
|Predecessor||Tukojirao Holkar III|
|Successor||Monarchy abolished, Indore merged into Madhya Bharat|
|Titular Maharaja Holkar of Indore|
|Pretendence||28 May 1948 – 5 December 1961|
|Successor||Usha Devi Holkar|
|Born||6 September 1908|
Indore, Indore State, British India
|Died||5 December 1961 (aged 53)|
Breach Candy Hospital, Bombay, India
|Spouse||Maharani Sanyogita Bai Holkar|
Maharani Margaret Holkar
Maharani Euphemia Holkar
|Father||Tukojirao Holkar III|
|Mother||Chadrawab Bai Saheba|
He succeeded his father Tukojirao Holkar III, who abdicated in his favor on February 26, 1926. He was installed on the throne on 11 March 1926 under a regency council. He was invested with full powers on 9 May 1930 at the age of 20. On January 1, 1935 he was made a Knight of the Order of the Indian Empire. He established a legislative council for Indore state and created a cabinet with a prime minister and three ministers. British Resident of Indore, K.S. Fitze, remarked on the great amount of time Maharaja Yeshwant spent abroad. Christie's art director Amin Jaffer takes this to exemplify maharaja culture's turn to the West.
On 11 August 1947 he signed the document of accession to India. Indore State was included in the Union of Madhya Bharat on May 28, 1948. He served as the second Rajpramukh of this new state until 31 October 1956. He then worked for the United Nations.
He died in a Mumbai Hospital on 5 December 1961.
In the year 1924 he married Maharani Shrimant Akhand Sahib Soubhagyavati Sanyogita Bai Holkar. Yeshwant Rao and his wife Maharani Sanyogita both studied in England. In 1938 he married Margaret Lawler and after their divorce, married Euphemia Watt of Los Angeles.
He is survived by his two children - 1. HH Maharani Usha Raje of Indore (inherited the titles and rights). 2. Maharajkumar Shrimant Shivaji Rao Holkar of Indore (Prince Richard Holkar).
Titles, styles and honoursEdit
Titles and stylesEdit
- 6 September 1908 – 26 September 1926: Yuvraj Shrimant Yeshwant Rao Holkar Bahadur, Yuvraj of Indore
- 26 September 1926 – 1 January 1935: His Highness Maharajadhiraj Raj Rajeshwar Sawai Shri Yeshwant Rao II Holkar XIV Bahadur, Maharaja of Indore
- 1 January 1935 – 15 October 1946: His Highness Maharajadhiraj Raj Rajeshwar Sawai Shri Sir Yeshwant Rao II Holkar XIV Bahadur, Maharaja of Indore, GCIE
- 15 October 1946 – 5 December 1961: Major-General His Highness Maharajadhiraj Raj Rajeshwar Sawai Shri Sir Yeshwant Rao II Holkar XIV Bahadur, Maharaja of Indore, GCIE
(ribbon bar, as it would look today)
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Indian Empire (GCIE), 1935
- King George V Silver Jubilee Medal, 1935
- King George VI Coronation Medal, 1937
- Indian Independence Medal, 1947
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yashwant Rao Holkar II.|
Yashwant Rao Holkar IIBorn: 6 September 1908 Died: 5 December 1961
Tukojirao Holkar III
| Maharaja Holkar of Indore
1926 - 1948
|Titles in pretence|
||— TITULAR —
Maharaja Holkar of Indore
1948 - 1961
Usha Devi Holkar