Yellow Submarine Songtrack
Yellow Submarine Songtrack is a compilation/soundtrack album by the Beatles for the 1999 re-release of the 1968 film Yellow Submarine. The film was re-released on 13 September 1999 in the United Kingdom and the following day in the United States. In sharp contrast with other Beatles remasters available, the songs were fully remixed by Peter Cobbin at Abbey Road from the original multitrack tapes, something not done for the original CD release of the Beatles catalogue in the late 1980s (except for Help! and Rubber Soul), nor the 2009 remastered albums.
|Yellow Submarine Songtrack|
|Soundtrack album / compilation album by|
|Released||13 September 1999|
|Recorded||1965–1968 at EMI, Olympic and De Lane Lea studios, London|
|Label||Apple, Capitol, EMI|
|The Beatles chronology|
|Wall of Sound||95/100|
This album contains all but one of the Beatles songs used in the film, including several that were not included on the original 1969 Yellow Submarine album. The extra tracks replaced the George Martin film score from the original release, while Martin's complete score was included as a DVD audio track in the CD/DVD package featuring the album and film.
The album debuted in the UK charts at number 8, selling 19,000 copies in its first week. It also peaked at number 15 on the Billboard 200, with 68,000 copies sold in its opening week. In France the album debuted at number 13.
The album was reissued on CD on 4 June 2012 (5 June in North America) along with the film restored for DVD and Blu-ray release. While the original 1999 release was in a jewel-case, the 2012 version was released in a card sleeve, with the booklet and catalog numbers the same as the earlier version, with a 1999 copyright date on the disc, and a 2012 date on the card sleeve. The sleeve was in the same format as the Beatles 2009 remasters, being slightly rectangular with "The Beatles" logo in the left hand side of the cover.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The remixed tracks of the album feature many alterations and adjustments from the original stereo recordings. Almost all of the Beatles songs included in the film are on Yellow Submarine Songtrack. An exception is "A Day in the Life", which was not included because EMI did not want too many songs from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. The title track, "Yellow Submarine", contains the line "a life of ease" from John Lennon that had been missing in prior stereo mixes of the song. The replies from Lennon to the main lyric are gradually panned and faded from the right side of the stereo field to the left. The sound effects in this version are also more pronounced.
"Hey Bulldog" was entirely recorded on only one four-track tape. The piano and drum performances were recorded together onto one track and were inseparable for a new mix. They remain on the left audio channel while the vocals and the snare overdubs performed by Ringo Starr are centred.
The automatic double tracking that possibly erroneously continued into the first verse on the 1966 stereo version of "Eleanor Rigby" was corrected in the 1999 remix. Additionally, the string octet is separated in a similar fashion to the Anthology 2 instrumental. The vocals by Paul McCartney are centred and slightly out of synch to the orchestration on this mix.
The prior stereo version of "Love You To" contains a shorter fade than the initial mono recording. This shortening is retained in the Songtrack version.
Acoustic guitars and percussion are situated at the left channel for the new mix of "All Together Now". McCartney and Lennon's vocals are centred while the chorus is split across the left and right. The background vocals heard on the second verse are more audible and the guitar is clearer.
The Songtrack version of "Only a Northern Song" marked the appearance of the song for the first time in true stereo. The original 1969 stereo album featured a synthesised Duophonic variant of the original mono version. A stereo mix of this song also appeared on the Anthology 2 compilation album, but was made up of alternative takes featuring different overdubs and lyrics.
A number of unique promotions were launched to accompany the re-release of Yellow Submarine in 1999. These include a commemorative postage stamp series, action figures of the main characters and wide variety of assorted Yellow Submarine merchandise, such as mousepads.
Eurostar trains were painted in Yellow Submarine motif. In addition, a life-size yellow submarine was taken out on a publicity tour across the globe.
|2.||"Hey Bulldog"||Lennon with McCartney||3:14|
|4.||"Love You To"||Harrison||3:01|
|5.||"All Together Now"||McCartney with Lennon||2:10|
|6.||"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"||Lennon||3:28|
|7.||"Think for Yourself"||Harrison||2:18|
|8.||"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"||McCartney, with Lennon and Harrison||2:02|
|9.||"With a Little Help from My Friends"||Starr||2:44|
|10.||"Baby, You're a Rich Man"||Lennon||3:03|
|11.||"Only a Northern Song"||Harrison||3:27|
|12.||"All You Need Is Love"||Lennon||3:57|
|13.||"When I'm Sixty-Four"||McCartney||2:37|
|14.||"Nowhere Man"||Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison||2:44|
|15.||"It's All Too Much"||Harrison||6:28|
The CD/DVD package contains the album, as well as a DVD of the film with a remixed and remastered soundtrack, the original 1968 mono film soundtrack, and an isolated track of George Martin's complete score.
This album was also available on a yellow vinyl LP, with tracks 1–9 on side one and 10–15 on side two.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "The Beatles Yellow Submarine Songtrack". AllMusic. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
-  Archived 9 September 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- Schinder, Scott (17 September 1999). "Music Review: 'Yellow Submarine Songtrack'". Entertainment Weekly. p. 81.
- Gaar, Gillian S. (12 February 2013). "Soundtrack, Blue-ray review of the Beatles' 'Yellow Submarine'". Goldmine. Missing or empty
- Du Noyer, Paul (November 1999). "The Beatles Yellow Submarine Songtrack". Mojo. p. 125.
- "The Beatles Yellow Submarine Songtrack". Q. November 1999. p. 142.
- DeCurtis, Anthony (28 October 1999). "The Beatles Yellow Submarine Songtrack". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- Durchholz, Daniel (March 2001). "Wall of Sound Review: Yellow Submarine Soundtrack (Remastered)". Wall of Sound. Archived from the original on 30 March 2001. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- Yellow Submarine Songtrack norwegianwood.org. Retrieved on 26 July 2007.
- "austriancharts.at The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (ASP). Hung Medien (in German). Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "ultratop.be The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (ASP). Hung Medien (in Dutch). Ultratop. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "ultratop.be The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (ASP). Hung Medien (in French). Ultratop. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "Top Albums/CDs" (PHP). RPM. 4 October 1999. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "dutchcharts.nl The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (ASP). Hung Medien. MegaCharts. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "InfoDisc : Tous les Albums classés par Artiste > Choisir Un Artiste Dans la Liste" (in French). infodisc.fr. Archived from the original on 7 November 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Album Search: The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Gli album più venduti del 1999" (in Italian). hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "イエロー・サブマリン 〜ソングトラック〜／ザ・ビートルズ-リリース-ORICON STYLE-ミュージック" [Highest position and charting weeks of Yellow Submarine Songtrack by The Beatles]. oricon.co.jp (in Japanese). Oricon Style. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "norwegiancharts.com The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (ASP). Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "swedishcharts.com The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (ASP) (in Swedish). Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack - hitparade.ch" (ASP). Hung Medien (in German). Swiss Music Charts. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "The Beatles > Artists > Official Charts". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "allmusic ((( Yellow Submarine Songtrack > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Oricon Album Chart Book: Complete Edition 1970-2005. Roppongi, Tokyo: Oricon Entertainment. 2006. ISBN 4-87131-077-9.
- "French album certifications – The Beatles – Yellow Submarine" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "RIAJ > The Record > December 1999 > Certified Awards (October 1999)" (PDF). Recording Industry Association of Japan (in Japanese). Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "British album certifications – The Beatles – Yellow Submarine Songtrack". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 15 September 2013. Select albums in the Format field. Select Gold in the Certification field. Type Yellow Submarine Songtrack in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Beatles, The – Yellow Submarine Songtrack". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 15 September 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.