Yandere SimulatorI LOVE SENPAI. SENPAI IS LIFE is an upcoming stealth action video game currently in development by YandereDev and to be published by tinyBuild. The game centers upon an obsessively lovesick schoolgirl named Ayano Aishi, also known as "Yandere-chan" after the Japanese term "yandere", who has taken it upon herself to eliminate anyone she believes is monopolizing her crush's attention. Over the course of ten weeks, Ayano will eliminate ten different rivals.
Players control Ayano Aishi (nicknamed Yandere-chan), a Japanese schoolgirl who has developed a crush on a fellow student Taro Yamada (male) or Taeko Yamada (female), nicknamed "Senpai". Over the course of ten in-game weeks, ten other students will attempt to form a relationship with Senpai, and Ayano must prevent them from doing so.
Due to her yandere nature, this can be accomplished by the player through a diverse array of methods ranging from peaceful to violent, currently including matchmaking, befriending, betrayal, gossip, expulsion, frameup, kidnapping, faked death, electrocution, crushing, poisoning, drowning, burning, homicide, incited suicide and murder–suicide after being driven to insanity by torture and rival specific elimination methods. Throughout the game, Ayano can receive aid from an information broker calling herself "Info-chan", who provides her with weapons, plans, items, and other favors in exchange for panty shots, information and blackmail material.
Ayano must also avoid being witnessed while performing criminal activities, or suffer penalties ranging from a loss in reputation that makes it harder for other students to trust her, to diminishing sanity that discourages Senpai and hinders ability to carefully carry out crime, to an immediate game over. Murdering students will result in penalties to "School Atmosphere", which alters NPC behavior to become more suspicious and riddled with anxiety, demonstrated by actions such as locking their lockers. During this time, she can join school clubs and attend classes to receive additional abilities such as easy access to weapons, increase abilities to avoid suspicion or easy access to other items.
The developer defines the current state of Yandere Simulator as a "playable debug sandbox build". This means that not all features are currently implemented. The final game will contain six modes: Story Mode, the base game; 1980s Mode, a prequel to the base game; Endless Mode, a never-ending version of the base game; Custom Mode, a customizable version of the base game; Pose Mode, in which players may pose their favorite characters; and Mission Mode, in which Ayano completes missions for Info-chan.
YandereDev (Alex) is an independent game developer in California and has worked at a video game company for three years. In April 2014, YandereDev pitched the idea for Yandere Simulator on 4chan, where it got a lot of positive feedback, so he decided to start developing it. It is a social stealth game that borrows elements from the Hitman series of video games, but also contains "school simulation" gameplay and other elements that seek to make it quite different.
Development for Yandere Simulator began in 2014, with YandereDev releasing test builds of the game for debugging purposes. He has regularly released updates that add elements to the game, such as the ability to poison, electrocute, and drown rivals, befriend other schoolgirls, small mini games, a town the player can bike around in, and more.
- Vincent, Brittany (15 March 2015). "VIDEO: "Yandere Simulator" Puts The Crazy In Your Hands". Crunchyroll. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Makedonski, Brett (1 April 2015). "YouTube bans Yandere Simulator anime panty shots, commenters are pissed". Destructoid. ModernMethod. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Ashcraft, Brian (30 March 2015). "The Schoolgirl Sim In Which You Kill People". Kotaku. Gizmodo Media Group. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- YandereDev (16 November 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@YanNeppy I think I've settled on "Aishi" as her canon surname. At this point, the "temporary" name, Ayano, has been used by many people.."". Twitter. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "Characters - Yandere Simulator". Yandere Simulator. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- Preistman, Chris (13 March 2015). "Learn How To Get Away With Murder In Yandere Simulator". Siliconera. Curse, Inc. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- YandereDev (24 November 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@From_the_moon_ The final game will feature 10 rivals and last for 10 weeks. One rival per week."". Twitter. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "About - Yandere Simulator". Yandere Simulator. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- YandereDev (19 August 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@xnooelx When "School Atmosphere" is low (blood and corpses have been discovered, students fear a killer) students will lock their lockers."". Twitter. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "This debug sandbox build is not representative of the final game. This build only exists for testing purposes.".
- Pose Mode and Mission Mode have already been implemented; for the others, see YandereDev. "Frequently Asked Questions". Google Docs. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- YandereDev (22 October 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@sanloveshorror Well, it's not really a "rumor"; I stated in an interview that my first name is Alex."". Twitter. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- YandereDev (14 August 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@evangelinaavi17 Yep! Yandere Sim began on 4chan. Most of the game's design & mechanics were suggested by anonymous posters on the /v/ board"". Twitter. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- YandereDev (18 August 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@LD009 When I pitched the idea for Yandere Simulator, lots of people got very excited about the project. This made me decide to make it real"". Twitter. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- YandereDev (11 September 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@etherealyandere I don't think Yandere-chan should be allowed to disguise herself as another character. Too close to plagiarizing Hitman..."". Twitter. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- Loveridge, Lynzee (23 May 2015). "Yandere Simulator Will Let Players Love Their Sempai — To Death". Anime News Network. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Priestman, Chris (21 May 2015). "How To Make A Murder Look Like Suicide In Yandere Simulator". Siliconera. Curse, Inc. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Hansen, Steven (5 June 2015). "Yandere Simulator lets you poison Japanese schoolgirls". Destructoid. ModernMethod. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Yin-Poole, Wesley (2 March 2017). "Yandere Simulator picks up publisher, developer guarantees completion". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- Shive, Chris (1 March 2017). "tinyBuild Teams Up with YandereDev for Yandere Simulator". Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved 3 March 2017.