Yandere Simulator is a stealth action video game currently in development by YandereDev and to be published by tinyBuild Games. The game centers upon an obsessively lovesick schoolgirl named 'Ayano Aishi', and better known as 'Yandere-chan' after the Japanese term "yandere", who has taken it upon herself to eliminate anyone she believes is monopolizing her crush's attention. Over the course of ten weeks, Ayano will eliminate ten different rivals.
Players control Ayano Aishi (Yandere-chan), a Japanese schoolgirl who has developed a crush on a fellow student when she bumped into the boy currently named Taro Yamada (or a girl named Taeko Yamada), nicknamed "Senpai". Over the course of ten weeks, ten other students develop crushes on Senpai, and Ayano must prevent them from confessing their love to him.
Due to her 'yandere' nature, this can be accomplished by the player via several methods such as murder, blackmail, or social sabotage. Throughout the game, Ayano can receive aid from an information broker calling herself "Info-chan", who can provide her with services such as weapons, plans, items, or other favors in exchange for panty shots.
Ayano must also avoid being witnessed while performing criminal activities, or suffer penalties ranging from a loss in reputation that makes it harder for other students to trust her to an immediate game over. Murdering students will result in penalties to 'School Atmosphere', which alters NPC behavior to become more suspicious and riddled with anxiety. During this time, she can join school clubs and attend classes to receive additional abilities such as easy access to weapons or increase abilities to avoid suspicion.
Currently, in this state of development, Yandere Simulator is a playable Debug Sandbox Build. This means that not all features are currently implemented. As of November 2016, there are three gamemodes; the normal one, "pose mode" and "mission mode".
YandereDev (Alexander Mahan) is an independent game developer in California and has worked at a video game company for three years. In April 2014, YandereDev pitched the idea for Yandere Simulator on 4chan, where it got a lot of positive feedback, so he decided to start developing it. It is a social stealth game that borrows elements from the Hitman series of video games, but also contains "school simulation" gameplay and other elements that seek to make it quite different.
Development for Yandere Simulator began in 2014, with YandereDev releasing test builds of the game for debugging purposes. He has regularly released updates that add elements to the game, such as the ability to poison, electrocute, and drown rivals, befriend other schoolgirls, small mini games, a town the player can bike around in, and more.
- Vincent, Brittany (15 March 2015). "VIDEO: "Yandere Simulator" Puts The Crazy In Your Hands". Crunchyroll. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Makedonski, Brett (1 April 2015). "YouTube bans Yandere Simulator anime panty shots, commenters are pissed". Destructoid. ModernMethod. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Ashcraft, Brian (30 March 2015). "The Schoolgirl Sim In Which You Kill People". Kotaku. Gizmodo Media Group. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Preistman, Chris (13 March 2015). "Learn How To Get Away With Murder In Yandere Simulator". Siliconera. Curse, Inc. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Loveridge, Lynzee (23 May 2015). "Yandere Simulator Will Let Players Love Their Sempai — To Death". Anime News Network. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Priestman, Chris (21 May 2015). "How To Make A Murder Look Like Suicide In Yandere Simulator". Siliconera. Curse, Inc. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Hansen, Steven (5 June 2015). "Yandere Simulator lets you poison Japanese schoolgirls". Destructoid. ModernMethod. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Yin-Poole, Wesley (2 March 2017). "Yandere Simulator picks up publisher, developer guarantees completion". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- Shive, Chris (1 March 2017). "tinyBuild Teams Up with YandereDev for Yandere Simulator". Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved 3 March 2017.