William Fremantle (politician)
Sir William Henry Fremantle
|Treasurer of the Household|
27 May 1826 – 17 July 1837
|Monarch||George IV, William IV, Victoria|
|Prime Minister||Liverpool, Canning, Goderich, Wellington, Grey, Melbourne, Peel|
|Preceded by||Lord Charles Bentinck|
|Succeeded by||Earl of Surrey|
|Born||28 December 1766|
|Died||19 October 1850(aged 83)|
Selina Mary Elwell
(m. 1797; died 1841)
Fremantle was the son of John Fremantle, of Aston Abbots, Buckinghamshire, by his wife Frances Edwards, daughter of John Edwards, of Bristol. He was the brother of Sir Thomas Fremantle and the uncle of Thomas Fremantle, 1st Baron Cottesloe, and Sir Charles Fremantle.
Fremantle began his parliamentary career by being elected Member of Parliament for the Irish borough of Enniskillen at a by-election on 31 July 1806. He represented the seat until the dissolution of Parliament on 24 October 1806. He served under Lord Grenville as Junior Secretary to the Treasury between 1806 and 1807. He stood for Saltash in November 1806, was initially defeated but returned on petition in February 1807. He stood for Saltash once again in May 1807 alongside his brother Thomas. This time there was a double return and in February 1808 Fremantle was declared not elected. In May 1808 he was successfully returned for Tain Burghs, a seat he held until 1812, and then represented Buckingham until 1827. He was sworn of the Privy Council in 1822. In 1826 he was appointed Treasurer of the Household, which he remained until 1837. He was also Ranger of Windsor Great Park.
Fremantle married Selina Mary Elwell, daughter of Sir John Elwell, 4th Baronet, and widow of Felton Lionel Hervey, in 1797. She died in November 1841. Fremantle died in October 1850, aged 83. Following the death of his brother, Stephen, he acted as a proxy father to his nephew, John Fremantle who went on to fight in the Peninsular War and at Waterloo.
- thepeerage.com Rt. Hon. Sir William Henry Fremantle
- Parliamentary Election Results in Ireland, 1801-1922, edited by B. M. Walker. Royal Irish Academy, 1978.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "E" (part 2)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 2)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "T" (part 1)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 6)
- "No. 17783". The London Gazette. 19 January 1822. p. 97.
- Glover, Gareth; Fremantle, John (2012). Wellington's Voice: The Candid Letters of Lieutenant Colonel John Fremantle, Coldstream Guards, 1808-1821. Casemate Publishers. p. 3. ISBN 978-1-78337-867-8.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir William Fremantle
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Enniskillen
| Member of Parliament for Saltash
With: Richard Neville
| Member of Parliament for the Tain Burghs
Sir Hugh Innes, Bt
Lord George Grenville
| Member of Parliament for Buckingham
With: Viscount Ebrington 1812–1817
James Stanhope 1817–1818
Sir George Nugent, Bt 1818–1827
Sir George Nugent, Bt
Sir Thomas Fremantle, Bt
| Junior Secretary to the Treasury
Lord Charles Bentinck
| Treasurer of the Household
Earl of Surrey