Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/September 1
- 1529 – Sancti Spiritu, the first European settlement in Argentina, was destroyed by Amerindians.
- 1804 – German astronomer Karl Ludwig Harding discovered one of the largest main belt asteroids, naming it Juno after the Roman goddess.
- 1939 – German forces attacked multiple locations in Poland, including Wieluń and Westerplatte, starting World War II in Europe.
- 1969 – Muammar Gaddafi (pictured in 1972) led a coup d'état to overthrow Idris I of Libya.
- 1983 – A Soviet jet interceptor shot down the civilian Korean Air Lines Flight 007 near the island of Sakhalin in the north Pacific, killing all 246 passengers and 23 crew on board.