White Right: Meeting the Enemy
White Right: Meeting The Enemy is a 2017 documentary film by two-time Emmy and Peabody Award-winning director Deeyah Khan. The film is produced by Deeyah's production company Fuuse and received its world premiere on ITV in December 2017.
|White Right:Meeting The Enemy|
|Directed by||Deeyah Khan|
|Theme music composer||Danny Farrant |
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Fuuse Film|
|Original release||11 December 2017|
Deeyah travels to America to meet with some of the most prominent neo-Nazis and white supremacist leaders in the US today to seek to understand the personal and political reasons behind the apparent resurgence of extremism in the US. She made the film after being interviewed on TV about multiculturalism for which she received a large number of threats and hate speech on social media.
Carol Midgley writing for The Times, wrote of the film, "Part investigative journalist, part almost psychotherapist, Khan uses hard and soft skills to discover what drives such hatred and forces people to face her, their so-called enemy".
Meeting The Enemy sees Deeyah sitting down face-to-face with Neo-Nazis and white nationalists after receiving death threats from the Far Right movement as a result of giving a BBC TV interview advocating diversity and multiculturalism. In the film Deeyah tries to get behind the hatred and the violent ideology, to try to understand why people embrace far right extremism.
Awards and NominationsEdit
|2018||Emmy Award||Current Affairs .||Won|
|2018||PeaceJam||Special Jury award ||Won|
|2018||Rory Peck Award||Sony Impact Award for Current Affairs ||Won|
|2018||Asian Media Awards||Best Investigation. ||Won|
|2018||Royal Television Society||Director - Documentary/Factual & Non Drama .||Nominated|
|2018||British Academy Film Awards||Current Affairs .||Nominated|
|2018||Frontline Club Awards||Broadcasting .||Nominated|
- "White Right: Meeting The Enemy - Exposure". www.itv.com. 21 November 2017. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- Carol Midgley (December 12, 2017). "White Right: Meeting the Enemy". thetimes.co.uk.
- Emine Saner (4 December 2017). "The Muslim director who filmed neo-Nazis: 'I thought – I'm not going to make it out'". www.theguardian.com. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- Inger Bentzrud (14 December 2017). "Hun våger å se fanden i hvitøyet" (in Norwegian). dagbladet.no. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Ny Emmy-pris til Deeyah Khan – for filmen der hun møtte fienden" (in Norwegian). dagsavisen.no. 2 October 2018. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- NTB (22 June 2018). "Deeyah Khans høyreekstremist-dokumentar vant pris i Monte Carlo" (in Norwegian). www.medier24.no. Retrieved 8 July 2018.
- Rory Peck Trust (1 November 2018). "WOMEN FREELANCERS TRIUMPH AT RORY PECK AWARDS 2018". rorypecktrust.org. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- RajBaddhan (26 October 2018). "The Asian Media Awards 2018 were held on Thursday 25th October at the Hilton Manchester Deansgate". bizasialive.com. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- RTS (4 November 2018). "Nominations for RTS Craft & Design Awards 2018 announced". Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- "CURRENT AFFAIRS". www.bafta.org. 4 April 2018. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "Shortlist 2018". www.frontlineclub.com. 7 October 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2018.