White Right: Meeting the Enemy
White Right: Meeting The Enemy is a 2017 documentary film by Emmy and Peabody Award-winning director Deeyah Khan. The film is produced by Deeyah's production company Fuuse and received its world premiere on ITV in December 2017.
|White Right:Meeting The Enemy|
|Directed by||Deeyah Khan|
|Theme music composer||
Danny Farrant |
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Fuuse Film|
|Original release||11 December 2017|
Deeyah travels to America to meet with some of the most prominent neo-Nazis and white supremacist leaders in the US today to seek to understand the personal and political reasons behind the apparent resurgence of extremism in the US. She made the film after being interviewed on TV about multiculturalism for which she received a large number of threats and hate speech on social media.
Carol Midgley writing for The Times, wrote of the film, "Part investigative journalist, part almost psychotherapist, Khan uses hard and soft skills to discover what drives such hatred and forces people to face her, their so-called enemy".
Meeting The Enemy sees Deeyah sitting down face-to-face with Neo-Nazis and white nationalists after receiving death threats from the Far Right movement as a result of giving a BBC TV interview advocating diversity and multiculturalism. In the film Deeyah tries to get behind the hatred and the violent ideology, to try to understand why people embrace far right extremism.
Awards and NominationsEdit
|PeaceJam||Special Jury award ||Won|
|Emmy||Current Affairs .||Nominated|
|Rory Peck Award||Sony Impact Award for Current Affairs ..||Nominated|
|Asian Media Awards||Best Investigation .||Nominated|
|British Academy Film Awards||Current Affairs .||Nominated|
- "White Right: Meeting The Enemy - Exposure". www.itv.com. 21 November 2017. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- Carol Midgley (December 12, 2017). "White Right: Meeting the Enemy". thetimes.co.uk.
- Emine Saner (4 December 2017). "The Muslim director who filmed neo-Nazis: 'I thought – I'm not going to make it out'". www.theguardian.com. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- Inger Bentzrud (14 December 2017). "Hun våger å se fanden i hvitøyet" (in Norwegian). dagbladet.no. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- NTB (22 June 2018). "Deeyah Khans høyreekstremist-dokumentar vant pris i Monte Carlo" (in Norwegian). www.medier24.no. Retrieved 8 July 2018.
- Øystein David Johansen (10 August 2018). "Norske Deeyah Khan kan vinne Emmy for nynazist-film" (in Norwegian). www.vg.no. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Rory Peck Trust (12 September 2018). "Finalists Announced for Rory Peck Awards 2018". rorypecktrust.org. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Asian Media Awards 2018 Finalists". asianmediaawards.com. 18 September 2018. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- "CURRENT AFFAIRS". www.bafta.org. 4 April 2018. Retrieved 10 August 2018.