|• Total||5.41 km2 (2.09 sq mi)|
|Elevation||413 m (1,355 ft)|
|• Density||890/km2 (2,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (Central European Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (Central European Summer Time)|
|Surrounded by||Dällikon, Dietikon, Geroldswil, Oetwil an der Limmat, Regensdorf, Unterengstringen|
The municipality was first mentioned in 870 as Winingon.
Weiningen has an area of 5.4 km2 (2.1 sq mi). Of this area, 32.5% is used for agricultural purposes, while 38% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 28.8% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (0.7%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains). In 1996[update] housing and buildings made up 17.2% of the total area, while transportation infrastructure made up the rest (11.5%). Of the total unproductive area, water (streams and lakes) made up 0.2% of the area. As of 2007[update] 17.2% of the total municipal area was undergoing some type of construction.
Weiningen has a population (as of 31 December 2019) of 4,813. As of 2007[update], 24.1% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. As of 2008[update] the gender distribution of the population was 51% male and 49% female. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 13.8%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (85.8%), with Italian being second most common (3.9%) and Albanian being third (2.6%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 23.1% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 65% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 11.9%. In Weiningen about 76.7% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). There are 1623 households in Weiningen.
Weiningen has an unemployment rate of 2.96%. As of 2005[update], there were 59 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 19 businesses involved in this sector. 396 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 40 businesses in this sector. 636 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 116 businesses in this sector. As of 2007[update] 44.4% of the working population were employed full-time, and 55.6% were employed part-time.
As of 2008[update] there were 1345 Catholics and 1406 Protestants in Weiningen. In the 2000 census[update], religion was broken down into several smaller categories. From the 2000 census, 42.2% were some type of Protestant, with 40.5% belonging to the Swiss Reformed Church and 1.7% belonging to other Protestant churches. 32% of the population were Catholic. Of the rest of the population, 0% were Muslim, 10.7% belonged to another religion (not listed), 3.3% did not give a religion, and 11.1% were atheist or agnostic.
From 1901 to 1931, Weiningen was served by a branch of the Limmattal tramway with service to Schlieren and connections to Zürich. Today it is served by bus routes 302 and 304, which provide links to Altstetten, Dietikon and Schlieren. The nearest railway stations are Schlieren and Dietikon.
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- "Weiningen (ZH, Gemeinde)". hls-dhs-dss.ch (in German). Retrieved 2020-03-15.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 05-Aug-2009
- Statistics Zurich (in German) accessed 4 August 2009
- "Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit". bfs.admin.ch (in German). Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB. 31 December 2019. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- "PX-Web - Tabelle wählen". www.pxweb.bfs.admin.ch. Retrieved 2020-03-15.
- "Das kurze Leben des «Lisebethli»" [The short life of «Lisebethli»]. Neue Zürcher Zeitung (in German). 18 February 2002. Archived from the original on 28 November 2018. Retrieved 28 November 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Regional network" (PDF). ZVV. Archived (PDF) from the original on 28 November 2018. Retrieved 28 November 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Weiningen.|
- Official website (in German)