Wayne Barrett (July 11, 1945 – January 19, 2017) was an American journalist. He was an investigative reporter and senior editor for The Village Voice for 37 years. Barrett was a Fellow with The Nation Institute and contributor to Newsweek. He held degrees from Saint Joseph's University and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, where he served on the adjunct faculty for over thirty years.
Wayne Barrett in 2007
|Born||July 11, 1945|
New Britain, Connecticut, U.S.
|Died||January 19, 2017 (aged 71)|
New York City, New York, U.S.
Frances Marie McGettigan
(m. 1969; his death 2017)
Barrett authored many articles and books about politicians, especially New York City figures such as Ed Koch, Donald Trump, and Rudy Giuliani. He was a major interviewee in Kevin Keating's 2006 documentary Giuliani Time.
Barrett died in New York City borough of Manhattan on January 19, 2017, from complications of interstitial lung disease and lung cancer. He is survived by his wife, Fran, and his son, Mac.
- The Big Apple: City for Sale: Ed Koch and the Betrayal of New York (Harper and Row, 1988, ISBN 0-06-091662-1) (with Jack Newfield)
- Trump: The Deals and the Downfall (Harper Collins, 1992, ISBN 0-06-016704-1)
- Rudy!: An Investigative Biography of Rudolph Giuliani (Basic Books, 2001, ISBN 0-465-00524-1)
- Grand Illusion: The Untold Story of Rudy Giuliani and 9/11 (Harper Collins, 2006, ISBN 0-06-053660-8; with Dan Collins)
- Trump: The Greatest Show on Earth: The Deals, the Downfall, the Reinvention (Regan Arts [e-book] April 26, 2016, ASIN: B01ECUXPIM; Paperback Edition August 2016, ISBN 978-1-68245-079-6)
- Barrett, Wayne (January 8, 2011). "Bloomberg give us the cold shoulder", New York Post.
- Roberts, Sam (January 19, 2017). "Wayne Barrett, Fierce Muckraker at The Village Voice, Dies at 71". The New York Times.
- Kludt, Tom (16 May 2016). "Donald Trump's first nemesis enjoys resurgence of 1991 book". CNN.
- Aronsen, Gavin (4 January 2011). "I Was a Wayne Barrett Intern". Mother Jones.
- Robbins, Tom (24 January 2017). "The old-school journalism of Wayne Barrett". CJR.
- The Real Rudy: From the September print issue: The image of Rudy Giuliani as the hero of September 11 has never been seriously challenged. That changes now, The American Prospect online September 11, 2006
- "Rudy Giuliani's 5 Big Lies About 9/11: On the Stump, Rudy Can't Help Spreading Smoke and Ashes About His Dubious Record", The Village Voice, August 8–14, 2007, pp. 22–36.
- "Rudy's Ties to a Terror Sheikh: Giuliani's business contracts tie him to the man who let 9/11's mastermind escape the FBI", The Village Voice, November 27, 2007
- Wayne Barrett Laid Off from Village Voice - video report by Democracy Now!
|This article about an American journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|