In a novel, theatrical script, screenplay, sketch stories, and poetry, a vignette (// (listen), also /-/) is a short impressionistic scene that focuses on one moment or character and gives a trenchant impression about that character, an idea, setting, and/or object. It is a short, descriptive passage, more about evoking meaning through imagery than about plot.
A blog or web series can also provide a form of vignette or be presented as a series of vignettes. An example of this is the critically acclaimed web series High Maintenance, which presents a different set of characters in each episode, focusing intensely on their specific traits, ideas, and worlds.
Vignettes are more commonly used and have been particularly influential in the development of the contemporary notions of a scene as shown in postmodern theater, film and television, where less emphasis is placed on adhering to the conventions of traditional structure and story development. It is also a part of something bigger than itself: for example, a vignette about a house belonging to a collection of vignettes or a whole story, such as The House On Mango Street, by Sandra Cisneros.
|Look up vignette in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
The word vignette means "little vine" in French, and the name of the literary form comes from vignettes, drawings of little vines that nineteenth-century printers used to decorate the title pages and beginnings of chapters.
- "100 Movies, 100 Theaters: Top 10 Interwoven Vignettes". 100movies100theaters.blogspot.ca. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "The House on Mango Street Writing Style". www.shmoop.com. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "vignette Meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary". dictionary.cambridge.org. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "Vignette in Literature". [writinginwonderland.blogspot.co.uk/ Writing in Wonderland]. Blogspot. 26 April 2011. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "High Maintenance". Entertainment Weekly's EW.com. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- Baca, Ricardo; Staff, The Cannabist. "Five must-reads celebrating the return of series 'High Maintenance'". The Cannabist. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "Despite The Dope, 'High Maintenance' Is About More Than Potheads". NPR.org. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- Huet, Ellen. "Vimeo Takes A Bet On 'High Maintenance' As Its First Original Series". Forbes. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- Cisneros, Sandra (1991-04-03). The House on Mango Street (Reissue ed.). Vintage. ISBN 9780679734772.
- "Definition of VIGNETTE". www.merriam-webster.com. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
|This poetry-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This literature-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|