This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2019)
The Victoria Daly Regional Council is a local government area in the Northern Territory of Australia. The shire covers an area of 153,287 square kilometres (59,184 sq mi) and had a population of 3,138 in June 2018.
|Victoria Daly Regional Council|
|• Density||0.020471/km2 (0.053021/sq mi)|
|Area||153,287 km2 (59,184.4 sq mi)|
|Council seat||Katherine East (outside LGA)|
|Website||Victoria Daly Regional Council|
In October 2006 the Northern Territory Government announced the reform of local government areas. The intention of the reform was to improve and expand the delivery of services to towns and communities across the Northern Territory by establishing eleven new shires. The Victoria Daly Shire was created on 1 July 2008 as were the remaining ten shires. The first election for the Shire was held on 25 October 2008.
The Shire became the Victoria Daly Region on 1 January 2014.
Most of the land now part of the Region used to be unincorporated, but several existing LGAs were merged into it:
- Daguragu Community
- Nauiyu Nambiyu Community
- Timber Creek Community
- Walangeri Ngumpinku Community
- Pine Creek Community
- Woolianna Community
On 1 July 2014, the boundaries on its west side were revised to create a new local government area called the West Daly Region which consisted of the following three wards from the Victoria Daly Region - Nganmarriyanga, Thamarrurr/Pindi Pindi and Tyemirri.
A general election was held in September 2017. Councillor Brian Pedwell was elected Mayor of Victoria Daly Regional Council.
The Victoria Daly Regional Council is divided into 5 wards, which is governed by 5 councillors:
- Pine Creek (1)
- Milngin (1)
- Timber Creek (1)
- Walangeri (1)
- Daguragu (1)
Localities and communitiesEdit
Land within the Victoria Daly Shire was divided in 2007 into bounded areas for the purpose of creating an address for a property. Most bounded areas are called "localities" while those associated with aboriginal communities are called "communities".[a]
- Daly River
- Douglas-Daly (part)
- Gurindji (part)
- Nemarluk (part)
- Pine Creek
- Timber Creek
- Top Springs
- Victoria River
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18: Population Estimates by Local Government Area (ASGS 2018), 2017 to 2018". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019. Estimated resident population, 30 June 2018.
- "Contact council". Victoria Daly Regional Council. Retrieved 25 March 2019.
- TOLLNER, DAVID WILLIAM (18 December 2013). "Local Government Act CHANGES TO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS AND COUNCILS" (PDF). Northern Territory Government Gazette. Northern Territory Government. p. 3. Retrieved 26 April 2019.
with effect from 1 January 2014:
- Tollner, D.W. (27 June 2014). "Northern Territory of Australia Local Government Act Restructuring Order" (PDF). Government Gazettes. Northern Territory Government. pp. 1–3. Retrieved 25 March 2019.
- "Northern Territory localities and suburbs". Place Names Committee. Northern Territory Government. Archived from the original on 13 March 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Central Desert". Place Names Committee. Northern Territory Government. Archived from the original on 13 March 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Localities within Victoria River sub-region (CP-5459)" (PDF). NT Place Names Register. Northern Territory Government. 28 May 2014. Retrieved 21 March 2020.