Roper Gulf Region
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Roper Gulf Regional Council is a local government area of the Northern Territory, Australia. The region covers an area of 185,210 square kilometres (71,510 sq mi) and had a population of 7,397 in June 2018.
|Roper Gulf Regional Council|
|• Density||0.039938/km2 (0.103440/sq mi)|
|Area||185,210 km2 (71,510.0 sq mi)|
|Council seat||Katherine (outside LGA)|
|Territory electorate(s)||Arnhem, Barkly|
|Website||Roper Gulf Regional Council|
In October 2006 the Northern Territory Government announced the reform of local government areas. The intention of the reform was to improve and expand the delivery of services to towns and communities across the Northern Territory by establishing eleven new shires. The Roper-Gulf Shire was created on 1 July 2008 as were the remaining ten shires. On 1 January 2014, the Shire was renamed to Roper Gulf Regional Council.
Elections for the Councillors in the Region were held on 25 October 2008.
Most of the area of the Council was previously unincorporated, but it absorbed several small LGAs on incorporation:
The Roper Gulf Regional Council is divided into 5 wards, which is governed by 13 Councillors across four wards:
- Never Never Ward (3)
- Numbulwar Numburindi Ward (2)
- Nyirranggulung Ward (3)
- South West Gulf Ward (3)
- Yugul Mangi Ward (2)
Localities and communitiesEdit
Land within the Roper Gulf Shire was divided in 2007 into bounded areas for the purpose of creating an address for a property. Most bounded areas are called "localities" while those associated with aboriginal communities are called "communities".
- Beswick Creek
- Daly Waters
- Flying Fox
- Gulung Mardrulk
- Pellew Islands
- Sturt Plateau
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18: Population Estimates by Local Government Area (ASGS 2018), 2017 to 2018". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019. Estimated resident population, 30 June 2018.
- TOLLNER, DAVID WILLIAM (18 December 2013). "Local Government Act CHANGES TO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS AND COUNCILS" (PDF). Northern Territory Government Gazette. Northern Territory Government. p. 3. Retrieved 26 April 2019.
with effect from 1 January 2014:
- "Northern Territory localities and suburbs". Place Names Committee. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Roper Gulf Shire". Place Names Committee. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- Roper Gulf Shire website
- Map of LGAs
- Policy details
- Map of Roper Gulf Shire with ward and property divisions
- Map of Roper Gulf Shire with ward area figures[dead link]