Victoria A. Roberts
Victoria Ann Roberts (born November 25, 1951) is a Senior United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Victoria A. Roberts
|Senior Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan|
|Assumed office |
February 24, 2021
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan|
June 29, 1998 – February 24, 2021
|Appointed by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||George La Plata|
Victoria Ann Roberts
November 25, 1951
|Education||University of Michigan (B.A.)|
Northeastern University School of Law (J.D.)
Education and careerEdit
Roberts was born in Detroit, Michigan. She received her Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Michigan in 1973, and her Juris Doctor from Northeastern University School of Law in 1977. Roberts was a research attorney for the Michigan Court of Appeals from 1976 to 1977, and was a legal research and writing teaching fellow at the Detroit College of Law, Michigan State University from 1977 to 1978. She was in private practice in Michigan from 1977 to 1985. Roberts was an Assistant United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan from 1985 to 1988, returning to private practice in Detroit from 1988 to 1998. She was General Counsel for Mayor-Elect Dennis Archer's transition team from 1993 to 1994.
Federal judicial serviceEdit
On July 31, 1997, Roberts was nominated by President Bill Clinton to a seat on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan vacated by George La Plata. She was unanimously confirmed by the United States Senate on June 26, 1998, and received her commission on June 29, 1998. She assumed senior status on February 24, 2021.
On February 3, 2017, Roberts ordered the U.S. government to halt enforcement of Donald Trump's 90-day restriction on travel by people from seven Muslim-majority countries if they are lawful, permanent residents of the U.S.
Roberts is a judge in the Arab American Civil Rights League v. Trump lawsuit filed in response to Trump's travel ban. On May 11, 2017, she ordered the Trump administration to turn over a memo by adviser Rudy Giuliani—allegedly written to make the travel order appear that it was not specifically aimed at Muslims—by May 19, 2017.
- Judiciary, United States Congress Senate Committee on the (February 24, 1997). "Confirmation Hearings on Federal Appointments: Hearings Before the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, One Hundred Fifth Congress, First Session, on Confirmation of Appointees to the Federal Judiciary". U.S. Government Printing Office – via Google Books.
- Shepardson, David [@davidshepardson] (20 January 2021). "Judge Victoria Roberts of U.S District Court in Detroit writes @JoeBiden to inform him she is taking senior status" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- LeBlanc, Beth (January 20, 2021). "Detroit federal judge to step down, creating one of first vacancies for Biden". The Detroit News. Retrieved February 23, 2021.
- Svoboda, Sandra (February 3, 2017). "Federal Judge Halts Enforcement of Trump’s Immigration Order". wdet. Retrieved February 23, 2021.
- Mehrotra, Kartikay (May 11, 2017). "Trump Ordered to Turn Over Giuliani Memo in Travel Ban Suit". Bloomberg News. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Victoria A. Roberts at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
George La Plata
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan